California Birding (& Arizona) in August - RFI

  • ceeege_birds
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2013
      Hi folks and many thanks for reading

      My father and I are coming over from the U.K. to California and Arizona
      in August for 3 weeks of full on birding. Following on from a wonderful
      trip to Ohio (Magee Marsh) in 2011 & South Texas in 2012, I've become
      addicted to US birds & birding and been fortunate enough to see and
      photograph 307 species on those two trips. To hopefully push the total
      well into the 400's, we're coming over to see some Eastern flyway birds
      and as such I'm trying to prepare as much as possible before we depart.

      Obviously we'd really like to catch up with the special birds of the
      area. I've listed a rough route below which I've researched as having
      good birding but what I'd really love to tie down is specific sites
      within those areas to find the California and Arizona speciality
      species.

      If you can spare some time, could you scan through the route & "most
      wanted" species below and suggest any sites that provide good birding
      and hopefully photo opportunities for the species mentioned? Species
      I've already photographed are listed on my website American Birding
      Photographs <http://usbirds.ceeege.com/>

      Many thanks,

      Chris

      Route summary

      * Flying into San Francisco and doing a pelagic the following day.
      * Across into Yosemite and through to Lake Mono. * Down south to
      Kern, then heading back to Monterrey for another pelagic. * Bird our
      way down to Ventura to pick up the boat to Santa Cruz. * Head East to
      Big Morongo / Joshua Tree * Salton Sea * Into Arizona * First
      stop Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum * Madera Canyon * Patagonia &
      surrounds * Sierra Vista / Beatty's for Hummers * If we have time
      head to Chiricahuas * Back to California * Drive West (Yuma?)
      towards San Diego mountains (looking for good spots here) * Bird our
      way back over 2 days to LAX to fly back

      Highly desirable birds include...

      * Mountain & Montezuma Quail * Any Grouse * California Condor
      * Band-tailed Pigeon * Any Owls * Black & Vaux's Swift (where to
      photograph if possible) * Elegant Trogon * Any Sapsuckers,
      White-headed & Pileated Woodpecker, Gilded Flicker * Yellow-billed
      Magpie * California Gnatcatcher * American Dipper * Mountain
      Bluebird * Sage, Le Conte's, Crissal & California Thrashers *
      Olive, Virginia, Lucy's, Black-throated Gray, Townsend's, Hermit,
      Grace's, MacGillivray's, Red-faced Warbler & Painted Redstart *
      Spotted, Canyon, California & Abert's Towhees * Rufous-winged,
      Botteri's, Brewer's, Black-chinned, Sage, Fox, Five-striped Sparrow *
      Yellow-eyed Junco * Tricolored Blackbird * Cassin's Finch &
      Lawrence's Goldfinch