Red-faced Warbler

  • Koonce, Sandy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
      Steve Sosensky just called to say that he and Bruce Aird found a RED-FACED WARBLER near Bluff Lake in the San Bernardino Mountains. His directions are as follows: take 2N10 from the Big Bear area to 2N11, to the parking area for the champion lodgepole pine. Go down the trail toward that pine. Just before trail marker 11 is a small trail or dry stream bed that crosses the main trail. Take this side trail to the right for about 50-75 yards to where a huge downed tree blocks the path. The warbler was in this vicinity.

      Serving as the messenger,
      Sandy

      Sandy Koonce
      Department of Mathematics
      University of Redlands, Redlands, CA 92373
      sandy_koonce@...
    • tgmiko@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
        Is the road to Bluff Lake passable in a low clearance sports car???

        Thomas G. Miko
        Http://www.tgmiko.com
        Claremont 91711, LA County
        Mobile: 909.241.3300
        Home: 909.445.1456
        Other Mobile: 213.471.6001

        "The universe is expanding. This should help with the traffic."- Stephen
        Wright
        Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
          2N10 is easily passable with a passenger car, but once you arrive at 2N11, you'll want to take it real easy or walk in to the Lodgepole trailhead. Another option is to drive in to Bluff Lake and hike to Lodgepole Pine from there. The trail is easy and you might see Williamson's Sapsuckers along the way.

          Matthew Page
          Simi Valley, Ca

          On Jun 16, 2013, at 1:39 PM, "tgmiko@..."<tgmiko@...> wrote:

          > Is the road to Bluff Lake passable in a low clearance sports car???
          >
          > Thomas G. Miko
          > Http://www.tgmiko.com
          > Claremont 91711, LA County
          > Mobile: 909.241.3300
          > Home: 909.445.1456
          > Other Mobile: 213.471.6001
          >
          > "The universe is expanding. This should help with the traffic."- Stephen
          > Wright
          > Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

        • Steve Sosensky
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
            Maybe. There are a few rough spots, but you might be able to get around them.
            Steve Sosensky
            Aliso Viejo
            818-522-5261

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
              Steve, Everybody,
              I borrowed my wife's pickup truck and am glad that I did. I would have made
              it to the parking area for Bluff Lake in my little car, but not at all to
              the Champion Lodgepole parking area. Access to the Red faced Warbler spot is
              a much shorter drive if you park at Bluff Lake, but they have restricted
              days and hours, while you can park and hike at the Champion Lodgepole
              parking area whenever.
              Well, at least I got Townsend's Solitaire for a year bird!
              I tried owling the length if Highway 38 (I went home the back way), and that
              road is too loud to owl, even when you get 60 seconds of silence between
              cars. I pulled over at 8 different spots and hooted in vain.