GrayJays in Northern California along 5 Freeway

  • john small
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2013
      Good Afternoon CalBirders, I have a request. Tomorrow( Wed.6-5-13), I will be heading to Oregon. I will be traveling along the 5 Freeway. I hope to pick up a Gray Jay as a life bird. Do any Calbirders who live along that area especially in the Mt. Shasta area. Any assisstance will be deeply appreciated.

      Thank You
      Sincerely
      John Small
      Torrance, C.A.

    • Bruce E. Webb
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2013
        I have seen Gray Jays several times at the main Mt. Shasta trailhead parking area where day hikers park. You will find many vehicles there and a restroom facility, so it is not confusing knowing you are at the right place.

        Off I-5, there are several exits for the town of Mt. Shasta. But in the main part of the town find the one road up to the top. Take it the several miles to this parking area.  The jays do not seem to be peanut eaters like other places so a spotting scope might be useful.

        Bruce Webb
        Granite Bay, Californiajohn small <joutandabout@...> wrote:Good Afternoon CalBirders, I have a request. Tomorrow( Wed.6-5-13), I will be heading to Oregon. I will be traveling along the 5 Freeway. I hope to pick up a Gray Jay as a life bird. Do any Calbirders who live along that area especially in the Mt. Shasta area. Any assisstance will be deeply appreciated.

        Thank You
        Sincerely
        John Small
        Torrance, C.A.