Kern desert highlights May 29-30

  • Steven Tucker
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2013
      A request was made to post this to Calbirds, so here we go. I'm not subscribed to the Kern list, so anyone inclined to forward this message is welcome to do so.

      I spent yesterday afternoon and most of today (May 29-30) birding the Kern migrant traps with Dan Maxwell, Samantha Marois, Amy Patten, Ryan/Scott/Linda Terrill, Tristan McKee, and Jessica Oswald. Collective highlights our group had were Magnolia and Tennessee Warblers, American Redstart, Summer Tanager (eastern), Indigo Bunting (all at Butterbredt Spring), 2 Ovenbirds, Northern Waterthrush, Indigo Bunting, Rose-breasted and Evening Grosbeaks (all at Galileo Hill), and Northern Parula at California City Central Park. The Terrill crew had another Indigo at Cerro Coso Community College in Ridgecrest this afternoon.

      The Magnolia (a male) was probably the best find of this bunch...it was seen briefly early this morning at Butterbredt by Ryan Terrill and could not be relocated. I assume it kept going north.

      Good luck out there,

      Steve Tucker

      Santa Cruz Island/Ventura, CA