San Clemente Island Bird News

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2002
      Birders

      It's been a while since I've provided an update of our recent observations
      from SCI so here goes.

      5/21--Indigo Bunting at Middle Ranch
      5/24--Indigo Bunting at Lemon Tank
      5/27--American Avocet at China Beach, White-winged Dove on China Road
      5/28--2 Black-and-white Warblers at Bar Tree
      5/30--Broad-winged Hawk (still lingering), Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and
      Baltimore Oriole at Lemon Tank, Black Phoebe in Wilson Canyon
      6/1--Indigo Bunting at Lemon Tank, Willow Flycatcher at Oly Locker, and
      Clay-colored Sparrow at China Beach
      6/8--Summer Tanager at Boulders
      6/9--Rose-breasted Grosbeak at Oly Locker, and Leach's Storm-Petrel found
      exhausted or possibly stunned from collision with light structure on Wilson
      Pier. It was released later that day and flew out to sea
      6/10--Bald Eagle at Photo Lab, 2 male Phainopeplas at Chamish Canyon, and a
      Townsend's Solitaire, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, and Willow
      Flycatcher at Lemon Tank

      I didn't find all these birds myself, many observers on island contributed to
      these observations.

      thanks

      Brian Sullivan
      Institute for Wildlife Studies