Re: [CALBIRDS] FWD: Varied Bunting in Oasis

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2013
      Todd Easterla and fritz Steurer are heading there now and should get there before dusk. No wind in eastern Mohave today but howling wind in western Mohave. Highlights today were a female orchard oriole at kelso and singing adult male rose breasted grosbeak at chet Huffman park in baker. Also a least tern at zyzzyx. And a zone tailed hawk last night at mid hills campground and a pair today at the intersection of cedar canyon and black canyon roads which is north of the campground and may be a second pair. All with Todd, fritz and my daughter Lydia. Amy patten was with us at kelso.

      Sent from my iPad

      John Sterling
      530 908-3836
      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695

      On May 28, 2013, at 4:01 PM, "Koonce, Sandy" <sandy_koonce@...> wrote:

      > The message below was posted to County Birds today.
      >
      > Sandy
      >
      > Sandy Koonce
      > Department of Mathematics
      > University of Redlands, Redlands, CA 92373
      >
      > Date: 5/28/13 2:59 pm
      > From: Peter <peter_colasanti...>
      > Subject: [CB] Varied Bunting(s) at Oasis, Mono
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I was staking out the bird bath at Oasis at 10:50 AM Tuesday (today). Oddly, it was mostly attended by Cassin's Finchs and Pine Siskins and a couple fem Lazuli Buntings, then something interesting happened. A male Varied Bunting took a perch, back to me, waiting maybe 15 seconds for its turn. Shortly after it dropped down, another appeared, fairly warm brown uniformly distributed, which appeared to be the missus. I believe I had also seen the male flyby about an hour earlier just west of the bath.
      > To get to the bird bath, take a left from Rt. 168 where it T's into 222 at the Oasis Ranch gate. Go left/west 500' exactly. There's a powerline entering the ranch there from across the road and it is strung a long a little dike. Over the fence just to the right is a seep of irrigation water surrounded by weeds where they bath. If you park your truck nest to the fence and put a chair in the back, it's pretty comfy. I stuck around for a while longer hoping to get a picture, but it didn't show itself soon and VABU's aren't that photogenic.
      >
      > Peter Colasanti
      > presently in Big Pine

    • Todd Easterla
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2013
        Just got home.

        Fritz Stuerer and I tried for the Varied Bunting from 6:45PM until dusk with NO luck. We did encounter a first Summer Indigo Bunting and several Lazuli Buntings but that was all in the bunting department. Maybe the bird will be seen in the A.M and someone will be able to get the word out faster this time.

        Good luck!

        Todd Easterla

        Rancho Cordova, Ca.