chuck notes and nighjars.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2013
      Bruce

      Superb post! Regarding that chip note, it is often difficult to hear but
      it seems to be used in excitement. When Whips respond to playback, they
      often come in giving these "chup" or "chuck" notes rather than the full
      song. After some time they will resume singing, and may chuck during a
      second bout of playback but then will not continue with the chuck notes and
      just sing. I am unsure if the chuck notes between songs are always there and
      just given softly at times so they are difficult to hear, or if they in fact
      chuck/chip between songs early in the season and when in highest hormone
      state, and then sing without chucks later in the season? I have heard
      similar use of chuck notes in Chuck-Wills-Widow, and in Rufous Nightjar and
      Band-winged Nighjars in the Neotropics at least those are the ones that
      stand out.

      Regards,

      Alvaro

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      alvaro@...

      www.alvarosadventures.com

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2013
        Folks,

        I'm having trouble uploading my recording to Xeno-Canto. If you'd like a
        copy, email me offline and I'll send it to you. Beware: file size is 11 MB.

        Bruce

        To elaborate on Randy's post, a few of us got eye-popping looks in evening
        light as well. Soon after the bird started calling, some of us, led by
        Logan Kahle, walked out the mowed path that contours above the clearing to
        get a better listen. At one point, the path passes through a grassy opening
        before plunging into woodland. About 8:45, Logan had traversed the opening
        and was peering ahead into the woodland while I remained on the other side
        of the opening. I whispered loudly "turn around!" because the Whip-Poorwill
        had flown up, started circling the opening, and was hovering mothlike
        behind Logan's head. The bird was a goatsucker by shape, flight style, and
        coloration. It was a bit larger than a Common Poorwill, with a longer,
        spatula-shaped tail that showed large rectangular white corners. It called
        incessantly, moving up and down the slope.

        Brian Sullivan and I attempted to get some high quality recordings. Between
        the footsteps, clothes rustling, barking dogs, and planes, we probably got
        a few decent clips. Interestingly, we could hear a soft "chip" note
        introducing the whistled notes.

        Bruce Mast
        Oakland

        On May 27, 2013 11:21 PM, "Randy Wardle" <wrwardle@...
        <mailto:wrwardle%40hotmail.com> > wrote:

        > Tonight (Monday evening) there were about 25 of us at the property in
        Aptos where the eastern WHIP-POOR-WILL remains. It is a beautiful place and
        I highly recommend going if you are able. Our hostess Patti was very
        gracious and gave everyone parking and viewing instructions. We all then
        made our way up the road to wait patiently for our vagrant guest to begin.
        Everyone was very friendly and had come from all over the Bay area. We all
        grew quiet about 8:20 pm and right on cue, at 8:27pm, the Whip-poor-will
        began his calls. He moved invisibly up and down the canyon calling over the
        next hour until everyone had left. A very cool and surreal experience. If
        you go, don't forget a flashlight to find your way back down the road!

        > Randy Wardle
        > Aptos

      • Bruce Mast
        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2013
          An unedited sound recording of the Whip-Poor-Will from Monday, 5/27, is now
          available online at
          www.xeno-canto.org/135420

          Bruce Mast
          Oakland