Re: [MBB] Whip-poor-will right on schedule

  • Bruce Mast
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2013
      To elaborate on Randy's post, a few of us got eye-popping looks in evening
      light as well. Soon after the bird started calling, some of us, led by
      Logan Kahle, walked out the mowed path that contours above the clearing to
      get a better listen. At one point, the path passes through a grassy opening
      before plunging into woodland. About 8:45, Logan had traversed the opening
      and was peering ahead into the woodland while I remained on the other side
      of the opening. I whispered loudly "turn around!" because the Whip-Poorwill
      had flown up, started circling the opening, and was hovering mothlike
      behind Logan's head. The bird was a goatsucker by shape, flight style, and
      coloration. It was a bit larger than a Common Poorwill, with a longer,
      spatula-shaped tail that showed large rectangular white corners. It called
      incessantly, moving up and down the slope.

      Brian Sullivan and I attempted to get some high quality recordings. Between
      the footsteps, clothes rustling, barking dogs, and planes, we probably got
      a few decent clips. Interestingly, we could hear a soft "chip" note
      introducing the whistled notes.

      Bruce Mast
      Oakland

      On May 27, 2013 11:21 PM, "Randy Wardle" <wrwardle@...> wrote:

      > Tonight (Monday evening) there were about 25 of us at the property in
      Aptos where the eastern WHIP-POOR-WILL remains. It is a beautiful place and
      I highly recommend going if you are able. Our hostess Patti was very
      gracious and gave everyone parking and viewing instructions. We all then
      made our way up the road to wait patiently for our vagrant guest to begin.
      Everyone was very friendly and had come from all over the Bay area. We all
      grew quiet about 8:20 pm and right on cue, at 8:27pm, the Whip-poor-will
      began his calls. He moved invisibly up and down the canyon calling over the
      next hour until everyone had left. A very cool and surreal experience. If
      you go, don't forget a flashlight to find your way back down the road!

      > Randy Wardle
      > Aptos

    • Alvaro Jaramillo
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2013
        Bruce

        Superb post! Regarding that chip note, it is often difficult to hear but
        it seems to be used in excitement. When Whips respond to playback, they
        often come in giving these "chup" or "chuck" notes rather than the full
        song. After some time they will resume singing, and may chuck during a
        second bout of playback but then will not continue with the chuck notes and
        just sing. I am unsure if the chuck notes between songs are always there and
        just given softly at times so they are difficult to hear, or if they in fact
        chuck/chip between songs early in the season and when in highest hormone
        state, and then sing without chucks later in the season? I have heard
        similar use of chuck notes in Chuck-Wills-Widow, and in Rufous Nightjar and
        Band-winged Nighjars in the Neotropics at least those are the ones that
        stand out.

        Regards,

        Alvaro

        Alvaro Jaramillo

        alvaro@...

        www.alvarosadventures.com

        _____

        <mailto:wrwardle%40hotmail.com> > wrote:

        > Tonight (Monday evening) there were about 25 of us at the property in
        Aptos where the eastern WHIP-POOR-WILL remains. It is a beautiful place and
        I highly recommend going if you are able. Our hostess Patti was very
        gracious and gave everyone parking and viewing instructions. We all then
        made our way up the road to wait patiently for our vagrant guest to begin.
        Everyone was very friendly and had come from all over the Bay area. We all
        grew quiet about 8:20 pm and right on cue, at 8:27pm, the Whip-poor-will
        began his calls. He moved invisibly up and down the canyon calling over the
        next hour until everyone had left. A very cool and surreal experience. If
        you go, don't forget a flashlight to find your way back down the road!

        > Randy Wardle
        > Aptos

      • Bruce Mast
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2013
          Folks,

          I'm having trouble uploading my recording to Xeno-Canto. If you'd like a
          copy, email me offline and I'll send it to you. Beware: file size is 11 MB.

          Bruce

          To elaborate on Randy's post, a few of us got eye-popping looks in evening
          light as well. Soon after the bird started calling, some of us, led by
          Logan Kahle, walked out the mowed path that contours above the clearing to
          get a better listen. At one point, the path passes through a grassy opening
          before plunging into woodland. About 8:45, Logan had traversed the opening
          and was peering ahead into the woodland while I remained on the other side
          of the opening. I whispered loudly "turn around!" because the Whip-Poorwill
          had flown up, started circling the opening, and was hovering mothlike
          behind Logan's head. The bird was a goatsucker by shape, flight style, and
          coloration. It was a bit larger than a Common Poorwill, with a longer,
          spatula-shaped tail that showed large rectangular white corners. It called
          incessantly, moving up and down the slope.

          Brian Sullivan and I attempted to get some high quality recordings. Between
          the footsteps, clothes rustling, barking dogs, and planes, we probably got
          a few decent clips. Interestingly, we could hear a soft "chip" note
          introducing the whistled notes.

          Bruce Mast
          Oakland

          On May 27, 2013 11:21 PM, "Randy Wardle" <wrwardle@...
          <mailto:wrwardle%40hotmail.com> > wrote:

          > Tonight (Monday evening) there were about 25 of us at the property in
          Aptos where the eastern WHIP-POOR-WILL remains. It is a beautiful place and
          I highly recommend going if you are able. Our hostess Patti was very
          gracious and gave everyone parking and viewing instructions. We all then
          made our way up the road to wait patiently for our vagrant guest to begin.
          Everyone was very friendly and had come from all over the Bay area. We all
          grew quiet about 8:20 pm and right on cue, at 8:27pm, the Whip-poor-will
          began his calls. He moved invisibly up and down the canyon calling over the
          next hour until everyone had left. A very cool and surreal experience. If
          you go, don't forget a flashlight to find your way back down the road!

          > Randy Wardle
          > Aptos

        • Bruce Mast
          Message 4 of 4 , May 29, 2013
            An unedited sound recording of the Whip-Poor-Will from Monday, 5/27, is now
            available online at
            www.xeno-canto.org/135420

            Bruce Mast
            Oakland