Catalina Island ferry, 6/9/02

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2002
      Birders

      I went out to Catalina this past weekend and saw a few notable birds from the
      Dana Point ferry. The way out was rather boring on the afternoon of 6 June,
      the only birds of note being several groups of Cassin's Auklets while
      approaching Catalina Island. Interesting birds on Catalina included an
      American Crow in Avalon and a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak at Middle Ranch
      Reservoir. On the 9th, leaving Catalina after a rain squall (yes, rain!) at
      945 AM there were good numbers of both Sooty and Pink-footed Shearwaters in
      close proximity to the island. Amidst the Shearwaters about 15 minutes into
      the trip I came across a Black Storm-Petrel. Another then minutes later and
      approximately 20 miles from the mainland, an adult Least Tern flew past
      heading south. It's only the second time I've seen Least Tern this far out
      to sea, the other occurrence was in the Atlantic about 25 miles off Cape
      Hatteras in August. Overall good numbers of birds though, much more than
      I've seen from San Clemente Island lately.

      thanks

      Brian Sullivan
      Institute for Wildlife Studies
      San Clemente Island, CA