RE: [CALBIRDS] Apparent Eastern Whip-poor-will at Aptos in Santa Cruz County

  • Lance Benner
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2013
      All,

      I agree that this doesn't sound like a Mexican whip-poor-will. For
      comparison, I recorded a Mexican whip-poor-will at Green Canyon in the
      San Bernardino Mountains on Tuesday night (May 21) and uploaded one of
      my files to Xeno-Canto at:

      http://www.xeno-canto.org/134482

      You can listen to it for comparison with the bird that David just
      reported. The two birds sound distinctly different. That said, when I
      generated a sonogram of Alex Rinkert's recording and compared it with a
      sonogram of the Eastern Whip-poor-will on the Stokes Eastern Birds CD,
      they aren't a perfect match, but the bird near Santa Cruz sounds MUCH
      more like an eastern whip than a Mexican. After poking around a bit
      with recordings of Eastern whips on Xeno-Canto, it's clear that there's
      some variation in the cadence and structure of eastern whip calls.

      Really nice find and a very, very nice recording!

      Regards,

      Lance Benner
      Altadena, CA