Hudsonian Godwit in Imperial Valley continues

  • Barbara Carlson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2013
      The Hudsonain Godwit continues as of 10 a.m. on the pond along Kershaw Road due west of the main grove of trees at Finney Lake.  The bird is finding lots of food and so hopefully it'll stay until it is ready to fly a thousand miles or more.

      Paul drove... fast. ;-)

      Barbara Carlson
      San Diego

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 24, 2013
        Thanks to a generous contribution from Douglas Aguillard, a photo of this
        bird is on the WFO web site at...

        http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=599

        Enjoy!

        On Fri, 24 May 2013 08:42:21 -0700 (PDT), Barbara Carlson
        <barbarac2003@...> wrote:

        >Guy McCaskie and Elizabeth Copper just found a HUDSONIAN GODWIT Friday morning at the pond along Kershaw, btw Finney and Rammer Lakes.
        >
        >posting for them,
        >Barbara  Carlson
        >
        >Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
        "It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt
      • Bob Miller
        Message 3 of 4 , May 24, 2013
          Hi all,

          The Hudsonian Godwit was still present at Kershaw Pond when I left there this evening at 6:45pm. There were about 15 birders present when I arrived at 6pm and the bird was sleeping in the same location in the SW portion of the pond as when found by Guy and Elizabeth this morning. Once in awhile the bird would preen for a few minutes but then go right back to the sleeping position in the presense of numerous Black-necked Stilt, American Avocet and Cinnamon Teal. As the light faded, everyone present was suddenly able to get fantastic looks at the bird in flight, well all of the birds actually, and I am sure some exceptioanly good flight photographs were had as the entire flock of birds suddenly erupted to the air and circled in front of us for a few minutes.

          Will the bird be there in the morning? Your guess is as good as mine but I am guessing not. If I were that bird, I would have left there at 6:40pm.

          See ya at the sea......................

          The Hudsonain Godwit continues as of 10 a.m. on the pond along Kershaw Road due west of the main grove of trees at Finney Lake. The bird is finding lots of food and so hopefully it'll stay until it is ready to fly a thousand miles or more.

          Paul drove... fast. ;-)

          Barbara Carlson
          San Diego

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android