unrecognized bird in a nest

  • sjondur
    Message 1 of 3 , May 21, 2013
      There is a nest under a roof overhang in San Diego County CA.
      Shown in this b/w picture:
      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41838587/somebird.png
      A bird sleeps there during the night. (At 9:17PM eyes were open, at
      10:56 eyes were shut. )During the day it is actively flying in and out
      every 5-10 minutes. It takes the bird less than a second to jump out and
      fly and when it returns it lands on the beam and jumps faster than the
      blink of an eye into its position.
      It does not move at all when it is in the nest. It is completely
      stiff.(When it is sleeping the head moves around a little bit like it is
      breathing.)
      Can anyone tell what species this is just from the head?

    • Willick, Doug
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2013
        The setting, nest and what we can see of the bird (eyering, head shape, boldly and completely pale lower mandible, etc.) suggests to me a Pacific slope Flycatcher.

        Doug Willick
        Orange, CA

        There is a nest under a roof overhang in San Diego County CA.
        Shown in this b/w picture:
        https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41838587/somebird.png
        A bird sleeps there during the night. (At 9:17PM eyes were open, at
        10:56 eyes were shut. )During the day it is actively flying in and out every 5-10 minutes. It takes the bird less than a second to jump out and fly and when it returns it lands on the beam and jumps faster than the blink of an eye into its position.
        It does not move at all when it is in the nest. It is completely stiff.(When it is sleeping the head moves around a little bit like it is
        breathing.)
        Can anyone tell what species this is just from the head?

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Sally M. Walters
        Message 3 of 3 , May 21, 2013
          A Western or recently renamed "Pacific flycatcher."

          SallyWalters & DonSchmoldt
          Sacramento County, Ca
          BajaOwl@...