Yellow Grosbeak, San Diego

  • Claire
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2013
      A non-birding friend of mine who lives in San Diego sent me her iPhone photo around 8:30AM. I believe the bird is a Yellow Grosbeak. She told me birds like the one in the photo have shown up in numbers at their yard in the past. Their back yard borders a large San Diego Canyon. You can do a Google Maps search of 'Rebecca Ave, San Diego' and see the canyon is west of Mission Valley Drive (north of Qualcomm Stadium) and is situated between Rebecca & Overton Avenues.

      Anyway, I'm up in Sacramento and would love more info on the presence of Yellow Grosbeaks in San Diego. Has the species been reported there before? Are most/all such grosbeaks escaped cage birds from Tijuanna or can this really be vagrant Mexican birds venturing into San Diego?

      I put the iPhone photo that was sent to me in Cal Birds Photos in directory: San Diego Grosbeak. If my friend forwards better photos to me I will post them there.
    • Walens, Stanley
      Message 2 of 2 , May 14, 2013
        Claire,
        It is a yellow grosbeak, but most certainly it is an escapee from the bird markets in nearby Tijuana.
        I believe that the only record of Yellow Grosbeak for California was a bird in 2006 in Inyo County.
        Not accepted by the CBRC because of uncertain origin.

        Stan Walens
        San Diego