RE: [CALBIRDS] Re: FW: NESS Great Black-backed Gull

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2013
      Birders,

      Not wishing to miss a chance to remind birders what a great resource the California Bird Records Committee web site is -- and the "Rare Birds of California" book that it complements....

      The Humboldt County (Orick vic.) report from 30 Dec 2006 was not accepted by the CBRC;
      see: http://www.californiabirds.org/cbrc_book/update.pdf

      There is an additional non-accepted record from Upper Newport Bay in August 1977 (see Rare Birds of California).

      The Salton Sea bird from 1 May (photos of which are diagnostic for Great Black-backed in my opinion, but the record of course awaits CBRC review) would indeed be a first for California if accepted.

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager
      900 Exposition Blvd.