Grackles at Frazier Park

  • Bill Principe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2002
      This morning, there were several pairs of nesting
      G T Grackles in among the Red-wings in the small
      marsh in the County Park in Frazier Park, southern
      Kern County. Frazier Park is above 4,000 ft. elev.
      in the western Tehachapis, surrounded by coniferous
      forest. I have asked other birders who have been to
      Frazier Park in recent years, and no one recalled
      seeing grackles there before.
      Of course, grackles have spread dramatically in
      recent years, but I do not recall seeing any
      breeding colonies at this altitude in California,
      or in the middle of a pine forest. Does anyone know
      if they breed in similar circumstances elsewhere
      in California?

      Bill Principe
    • Ron Holland
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2002
        I had a G T Grackle in Yosemite Valley (Merced River near the
        Yosemite Lodge, elev 4500-5000) on May 13, 2002. It was solo,
        so breeding status is unknown.

        At 10:12 PM 6/8/02 -0700, Bill Principe wrote:

        > Of course, grackles have spread dramatically in
        >recent years, but I do not recall seeing any
        >breeding colonies at this altitude in California,
        >or in the middle of a pine forest. Does anyone know
        >if they breed in similar circumstances elsewhere
        >in California?
        >
        >Bill Principe

        ---------
        Ron Holland telchar@...
        Rancho Cucamonga, CA
      • Mark W. Eaton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2002
          Great-tailed Grackles nested last year at Willow Springs on the south shore of Mono Lake, approximately 6382.8' elevation (N. A. B.
          55: 481).

          Mark

          ---
          Mark Eaton
          mailto:mweaton@...
          San Francisco Field Ornithologists Web Site
          http://www.sffo.org
          SFBirds mailing list
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFBirds
          Personal Home Page
          http://home.pacbell.net/mweaton

          "Children and pets should not be allowed to roam freely."
          NPS Warning at Skidoo, Death Valley, CA