Re: FW: NESS Great Black-backed Gull

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2013
      I believe there is an accepted GBBG record from Humboldt County.

      Ken Burton
      Willits

    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2013
        Birders,

        Not wishing to miss a chance to remind birders what a great resource the California Bird Records Committee web site is -- and the "Rare Birds of California" book that it complements....

        The Humboldt County (Orick vic.) report from 30 Dec 2006 was not accepted by the CBRC;
        see: http://www.californiabirds.org/cbrc_book/update.pdf

        There is an additional non-accepted record from Upper Newport Bay in August 1977 (see Rare Birds of California).

        The Salton Sea bird from 1 May (photos of which are diagnostic for Great Black-backed in my opinion, but the record of course awaits CBRC review) would indeed be a first for California if accepted.

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.