FW: NESS Great Black-backed Gull

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2013
      Hello all. Chet McGaugh posted the following message to the InlandCountyBirds listserv, but I'm not sure why it hasn't been forwarded to a wider audience. Here's his message:

      "Dave Goodward and I spent the day at spots around the north end of theSalton Sea, most time spent at Salt Creek on the east side and and 84th Ave
      on the west. Salt Creek continues as the best shorebird spot within a
      decent walk from the highway. Dave counted 150+ Red Knots, the season high
      at NESS, and several Sanderlings and a few Dunlins were among the
      decreasing Calidrids. Dowitchers continue to be scarce, two Long-bills for
      the day. Snowy Plovers have nested successfully. Bonaparte's Gulls are
      still present in the 100s. Common Loon, several Red-breasted Mergansers and
      a few Brant were seen. Passerine migrants included Western Wood-Pewees,
      Warbling Vireo, and Yellow and Wilson's warblers.

      Early in the afternoon, after breakfast, we rolled out to the end of 84th
      and the gull flock left the beach for the water. A quick scan and we found
      a very dark, seeming long-winged gull floating with the Eared Grebes, Ruddy
      Ducks, and California Gulls off shore. We were impressed by how truly black
      it's mantle was. Wanting to see it's legs, we waited an hour and a half
      later for the slow float back to the beach which ended when it climbed up
      the barnacle beach. Not a Yellow-footed Gull. Very pale pink feet, legs
      more pale fleshy than pink. While we were waiting for the return to shore
      we had studied up on large black gull identification and determined that
      the primary pattern, orbital ring color, leg color, mantle/primary
      contrast, and overall size and voice are critical points. We worked that
      bird, photographed it on the beach, in the water, and in the air for 2+
      hours and have concluded, pending the scrutiny required and expected, that
      our gull is a Great Black-backed Gull, which I believe to be, if accepted
      by the CBRC, the first for California.
      Chet"

      Serving as the messenger,

      Matt Brady
      Baton Rouge, LA

    • Ken Burton
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2013
        I believe there is an accepted GBBG record from Humboldt County.

        Ken Burton
        Willits

      • Kimball Garrett
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2013
          Birders,

          Not wishing to miss a chance to remind birders what a great resource the California Bird Records Committee web site is -- and the "Rare Birds of California" book that it complements....

          The Humboldt County (Orick vic.) report from 30 Dec 2006 was not accepted by the CBRC;
          see: http://www.californiabirds.org/cbrc_book/update.pdf

          There is an additional non-accepted record from Upper Newport Bay in August 1977 (see Rare Birds of California).

          The Salton Sea bird from 1 May (photos of which are diagnostic for Great Black-backed in my opinion, but the record of course awaits CBRC review) would indeed be a first for California if accepted.

          Kimball

          Kimball L. Garrett
          Ornithology Collections Manager
          900 Exposition Blvd.