Tricolored Blackbird colony (~700 birds) at Recology Landfill pond - Dixon

  • Keiller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2013
      Hello all,
      I wanted to make folks aware that Tricolored Blackbirds have started breeding in the Sacramento River Valley (they've been active in the south San Joaquin River Valley since the end of March). I spotted an active colony at the Recology landfill pond along south Rte. 113 11 miles south of Dixon, CA. The pond is on the south side of the landfill on the west side of the road. Males are displaying right up against the road so audio and visual ID are ideal. Females and males are carrying insects and look to be feeding young, you can hear the babies begging in the cattails. I'd like anyone that visits the site to estimate bird numbers by my best guess was 500-700 individuals. If you haven't seen Tricolors yet, this is a great, easily accessible site to have your first look.

      Keep your eyes open for any other breeding behavior and feel free to send me an email. I'd be very interested in knowing about other active breeding sites.

      Happy Birding,

      Keiller Kyle
      Conservation Project Director
      Audubon California