Sandwich-types and hybrids photo gallery

  • Matt Sadowski
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2013
      I finally dug out all my photos of presumed Elegant x Sandwich Tern
      hybrids that I've managed to photograph in San Diego since 2007:
      http://goo.gl/jAON8

      Similar birds have been documented on Isla Rasa in the Gulf of
      California where the majority of Elegant Terns breed:
      http://goo.gl/aeaCu

      The flickr set also contains two Sandwich-types with smudgy yellow bill
      tips (one also with some yellow visible along the tomium on the closed
      bill) that the CBRC does not accept as pure Sandwich do to concerns that
      they might be F2 back-crosses with a Sandwich. The other possibility is
      they are good Sandwich Terns showing introgression from the
      yellow-billed subspecies of Sandwich Tern known as "Cayenne" Tern.

      An excellent photo by Jimmy McMorran of a more recent Sandwich-type
      found in San Diego County is here:
      http://goo.gl/Paeih

      A very pure looking Sandwich Tern was documented breeding in Orange
      County in the 1990's:
      http://goo.gl/3pjXt
      A much nicer color photo of presumably the same bird in 1997 can also be
      seen in the CBRC book.

      This article documents a Sandwich Tern (or rather the bill tip of one)
      on Isla Rasa in 2008:
      http://goo.gl/MZ40B

      The two birds mentioned above had small and sharply defined yellow tips
      to their bills so we know there is at least one or a few good looking
      Sandwich Terns floating around on the Pacific coast north of Oaxaca.

      It would be nice to see a large selection of photos of Sandwich Terns
      from the Pacific coast from Oaxaca to Peru. If anybody knows of any
      leads please let me know.

      Thanks,

      --
      Matt Sadowski