"Cinnamon-rumped" form of White-collared Seedeater - Tijuana River Valley

  • Gary Nunn
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 2:22 PM
      There does seem to be quite a large number of singing male White-collared
      Seedeater around the Dairy Mart Ponds, Tijuana River Valley. I have heard
      as many as six singing just within a short distance of the ponds and
      walking east across Dairy Mart Road. The species seems to be quite well
      established as an introduced exotic. As others have mentioned a favorite
      territory is on the east side of the "middle" pond among the willows - best
      found early in the morning.

      I happened to photograph this singing male last weekend at that exact
      location. The appearance of male individuals that I have seen here is
      remarkably uniform, all with puffed out cinnamon rumps, grayish backs, no
      wing bars, small white check on the base of primaries and similar in song.

      Some photos and a link to the song on my blog here
      http://www.sandiegobirding.com/?p=2397

      --
      Gary Nunn,
      Pacific Beach