White-collared Seedeater and Magpie Jay + Tanager species

  • richard s. cimino
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2013
      Birding Tijuana River County Open Space Preserve Thursday morning near 8
      AM, we found singing on the north side of the main pond a male
      White-collared Seedeater. Also of interest for a norcal birder was the
      number of singing Bell Vireo's in the preserve.
      An hour later in the parking lot of the Bird and Butterfly Garden we
      arrive a few minutes late to see three Black-throated Magpie Jays. By
      chance we met Elizabeth Copper, she join us and five minutes later we
      had located a single Black-throated Magpie Jay. There was a singing
      Bell Vireo in the gardens area as well.
      Later in the morning at the Imperial Beach Sports Park in the Red
      (flowering) Coral Tree we located the male Hepatic Tanager and a
      Red-breasted Nuthatch. We returned at 1 PM to show two British Birders
      the Hepatic Tanager, when we found a female Summer Tanager and a female
      Bullocks Oriole both feed in the Red (flowering) Coral Tree.
      The British birders could only remark by saying */BRILLIANT/*! About
      this time a Yellow-crowned Night heron carped on my birding buddies head
      ! So I'm not going to put his name in this posting. But I thought it was
      very funny. And the Brit's were in shock. So I can't post what their
      remarks were, but they made a few ( very dry humorous) very funny
      comments. We finished the day with 94 species, pizza and beers by 4PM.
      Rich Cimino
      Alameda County