RE: [CALBIRDS] seedeaters, magpie-jays, etc, in San Diego

  • Jay K
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2013
      Wayne,

      There are no fewer than 14 entries for Seedeater in the eBird database for San Diego County. They are not as often encountered as the very conspicuous Jays, and are not targeted by visiting birders for the most part, so the entries are simply fewer. I don't believe they have been officially documented as breeding, though I may not have the most recent information. Males and females are seen (though I mostly have seen males), so it wouldn't be surprising if they were breeding. Males territorially sing in the Tijuana River Valley.

      As for what people should and should not include in their eBird lists, I think that is for them to decide. I don't include exotics in mine, which is simply a preference I have, in part because I'd also need to enter 20+ species of escaped parrots which in most cases would be like counting birds at the zoo or pet store. Any of those bird *could* become established (and some basically have), so I simply decided to draw the line with ABA countability. Perhaps I would consider adding them to eBird if I could then exclude them from my personal lists, but that's an entirely different conversation...

      Jay Keller,
      San Diego