seedeaters, magpie-jays, etc, in San Diego

  • lehman.paul@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29 5:00 PM
      The White-collared Seedeaters in the Tijuana River Valley in San Diego
      County number in the several pairs, have been present for many years, and
      are strongly presumed to have originated from escaped birds. Ditto, of
      course, the long-resident (and breeding!) flock or two of Black-throated
      Magpie-Jays in the same area. But some visiting birders continue to report
      them from time to time as perhaps potentially involving new and wild birds,
      presumably unaware of these species' history here.

      --Paul Lehman, San Diego

    • Wayne Weber
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29 6:42 PM
        Calbirders,

        Sightings of non-native species such as the seedeaters and magpie-jays
        mentioned by Paul should be reported to eBird, if there is a persistent
        population-- whether or not the species is "countable" or accepted as
        established by the ABA. If there is even a small possibility of such a
        species becoming "established", it is important to track the history and
        potential spread of such species.

        Paul, you didn't mention any evidence of breeding by the seedeaters- is
        there such evidence? I also noted that there are no sightings of seedeaters
        shown in eBird for San Diego County. (There are dozens of Magpie-Jay
        sightings shown.) Have seedeater sightings been reported, but invalidated by
        the local eBird reviewers? If they have been present for "many years" as
        you say, then it seems to me that they should be accepted by eBird as valid
        occurrences, whether or not they have attempted to breed, and whether or not
        they are "countable" according to the ABA.

        Wayne C. Weber

        Delta, BC, Canada

        contopus@...

        (eBird reviewer for Metro Vancouver, BC)

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29 8:50 PM
          Wayne,

          There are no fewer than 14 entries for Seedeater in the eBird database for San Diego County. They are not as often encountered as the very conspicuous Jays, and are not targeted by visiting birders for the most part, so the entries are simply fewer. I don't believe they have been officially documented as breeding, though I may not have the most recent information. Males and females are seen (though I mostly have seen males), so it wouldn't be surprising if they were breeding. Males territorially sing in the Tijuana River Valley.

          As for what people should and should not include in their eBird lists, I think that is for them to decide. I don't include exotics in mine, which is simply a preference I have, in part because I'd also need to enter 20+ species of escaped parrots which in most cases would be like counting birds at the zoo or pet store. Any of those bird *could* become established (and some basically have), so I simply decided to draw the line with ABA countability. Perhaps I would consider adding them to eBird if I could then exclude them from my personal lists, but that's an entirely different conversation...

          Jay Keller,
          San Diego