Question about White-collared Seedeater reported in San Diego area

  • Joe Devine
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2013
      I'm curious to know more about this bird which has been reported by 4 people in the last couple of days in eBird at the main Dairy Mart pond & along the eastern edge of Tijuana NWR just north of Monument Rd. Reporters have included Rich Cimino (from my area in NorCal) - a respected birder. However, I've not seen anything about it on the listservs.
      Is this bird wild, still there & chaseable?

      Joe Devine
      Modesto, Ca
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29, 2013
        Hi Joe,

        There are several White-collared Seedeaters in the Valley, they are of the non-migrant West coast Mexican race, and are escapees from the illegal bird trade/markets in Tijuana. Also in the valley have been or still are Northern Cardinals,Black-throated Magpie Jays, Purplish, San Blas, and Green Jays.

        Doug Aguillard
        San Diego, CA
        dwaguillard@...