April 27 deepwater pelagic is a "GO" from Ventura!

  • David Pereksta
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2013
      Hi all

      In the wake of the recent cancellation of the upcoming pelagic trip out of Santa Barbara, Island Packers in the Ventura Harbor has graciously offered to run the 12 to 14-hour deepwater pelagic
      tripon the same date, April 27.  Due to the short turnaround on this, we need to get as many sign-ups as we can in the next few weeks.  This trip allows us to get out to offshore waters beyond the reach of most day
      trips where we will have a chance to see a number of outstanding pelagic birds and marine mammals.  If sea conditions permit, we generally get all the way out to places like
      the Rodriguez Seamount, San Juan Seamount, the Patton Escarpment, and
      several banks and trenches that have produced a spectacular variety of
      marine birds and mammals.  If sea conditions prevent us from getting to
      some of these locations, we will get as far offshore as we can to places where we have found great birds.
      A similar trip in 2011 recorded a Murphy's Petrel, Laysan Albatross, 25
      Black-footed Albatrosses, 13 Ashy Storm-Petrels, 4,000 Red-necked
      Phalaropes, 240 Red Phalaropes, 100 Sabine's Gulls, 20 Arctic Terns, and numbers of the expected shearwaters, jaegers, and alcids.  In 2010, we
      had 63 Cook's Petrels and a Murphy's Petrel, as well as Laysan and
      Black-footed Albatrosses plus a host of the regular spring migrants
      including Leach's and Ashy Storm-Petrels.  Deepwater trips at this time
      of year have the potential to produce several rare species.  We saw
      numbers of Cook's Petrels at this time of year in 2009 and 2010.  In
      addition, we will make a special effort to locate Murphy's Petrels,
      which are not present every spring, but can be found in small numbers
      over deep water.  Other rarities that could be encountered include
      Hawaiian Petrel, Parakeet Auklet, and Horned and Tufted Puffins.  There
      is always a chance that we could come across something outrageous we are not expecting, but we never know until we get out there, which makes
      these trips very exciting.
      Our vessel will be one of Island Packer’s ultra-fast catamarans. These
      vessels feature a spacious and comfortable cabin that seats 65 people,
      galley, and excellent viewing from both the upper and lower decks.  A
      full contingent of outstanding seabird leaders will be present to make
      sure we see all that is out there.  The Captain and crew know how to run birding trips and are enthusiastic and helpful.  We will also be
      adequately supplied with various types of chum to try and bring the birds in close.  Photographers will not be
      disappointed!  We never know what we will find out there, but there is
      always something that leaves indelible memories with all who have gone
      The cost for the trip is $195.  We depart the Ventura Harbor promptly at 7:00 AM, so please arrive by 6:30 AM to facilitate check-in and loading.  Call Island Packers at 805-642-1393 or go online at  www.islandpackers.com to reserve your spot.  I look forward to seeing you on-board in April.
      David Pereksta