Arctic Loon still in Monterey Harbor--24 March

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2013
      Birders

      I refound the Arctic Loon today in Monterey Harbor in the same place off
      Wharf #2. I don't think the bird has been seen despite many tries since 27
      Feb. The bird is still in juvenile plumage (as far as I can tell), and
      shows no signs of molt. I didn't have my real camera with me at the time,
      but the bird was quite close, and I was able to get some documentation
      shots with my point-and-shoot.

      The bird is apparently much less reliable than it was before, but it is
      still around, so keep looking if you've missed it before. Not sure where it
      goes when it's not in the harbor, but when it is in the harbor is is
      generally feeding very actively between Wharf #2 and Fisherman's Wharf.
      I've got my fingers crossed that it will stay the summer, but we'll see.

      Thanks

      Brian

      --
      *Brian L. Sullivan