Gray Hawk seen in Carpinteria area - Motel 6

  • richard s. cimino
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2013
      Thanks to all the birders who responded to my information request of
      Wednesday March 13.
      Jeff Miller and I arrived at Hwy 101 EXIT 87A in the area of the typical
      sighting location, from Alameda County by 11AM.
      We had big plans, hoping to locate the Gray Hawk in a reasonable amount
      of time - then bird our way home.
      Six hours later of non-stop birding - including two cell calls to Wes
      Fritz, and 105 U turns on VIA REAL Rd., at 5:15 PM we located the
      juvenile Gray Hawk in the back of the Motel 6 on VIA REAL Rd..
      The Motel 6 is approximately a quarter of a mile southeast of the area
      where the Gray Hawk been frequently reported.
      The Gray Hawk was found in the rear parking lot high in a eucalyptus tree.
      The eucalyptus tree is very tall with long slender branches with leaf
      clusters at the outer tips of the branches and can been clear seen from
      VIA REAL Rd.
      The Gray Hawk was perched fully exposed on one of these bare branches,
      when it launched itself into a accelerated dive which aided in making
      all of it field marks (long bared tail) features visible.
      In the residential area behind the Motel 6 there is also an active
      juvenile Red-shoulder Hawk.
      There is also an Allen Hummingbird in the rear parking lot in the red
      flowering bush along the residential fence line.
      Enjoy the coming weekend,
      Rich Cimino
      Pleasanton, Alameda County