Cow Canyon to Dripping Springs (San Diego/Riverside Cos.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2002
      Hi, all!

      Well, despite Matt Baylow's warnings of record high heat, I decided to pick
      up where I left off in April and headed up to Cow Canyon et al today. A new
      bird for the area was Great-tailed Grackle, hanging out at the ponds at the
      mobile home park where you pick up the dirt road going into the area. On
      that same road, before the intersection, was pleased to see that the Scott's
      Oriole pair was back, and I even got off a couple of nice shots before I
      realized I didn't have film in the camera... :-P A Gray Vireo was singing
      about a mile further down the road, and another Scott's was singing about a
      mile past the intersection. Coming down Lost Valley Road another Gray Vireo
      was in the traditional spot (where you pick up the PCT), and he was really
      putting everything he had into HIS song!

      Stopped at the fire station at Oak Grove to see if they possibly had any
      Forest Adventure Passes (which they didn't), but in the process discovered a
      trailhead right behind the building: Oak Grove Trail! It was really heating
      up by now, so not much was active; the most interesting bird was a Cooper's
      Hawk making a racket. You have to go by a few domiciles, but overall I think
      it's worth adding to the route: fairly flat through oak savannah habitat,
      then getting into chaparral. I turned around shortly after where the trail
      dumps out in someone's driveway, and the trail marker is down at that point,
      so I really didn't know which trail was the real one, so if you decide to try
      this one out, beware of that.

      Dripping Springs fortunately had a deal where you could pay your daily fee
      right there; most of the places I tried to get the silly pass were wiped out
      by Memorial Day Weekend, and they haven't gotten any new ones in yet! (Don't
      know if this is true or not, but one of the guys told me that since it's so
      inconvenient to get these passes, especially if you find yourself at the
      trailhead at the crack of dawn suddenly in need of one, that they can ticket
      you, but they can't enforce it.) A group of California Quail at the camp
      host's place were cute to watch, and found a Red-shouldered Hawk's nest
      further down over a campsite. Other birds of interest included Western Wood
      Pewee and Rufous-crowned Sparrow at the trailhead. Wound up with 45 species
      for the morning. Bird List:

      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Western Wood-Pewee Contopus sordidulus
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Ash-throated Flycatcher Myiarchus cinerascens
      Cassin's Kingbird Tyrannus vociferans
      Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis
      Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      Gray Vireo Vireo vicinior
      Hutton's Vireo Vireo huttoni
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Rufous-crowned Sparrow Aimophila ruficeps
      Black-chinned Sparrow Spizella atrogularis
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      Black-headed Grosbeak Pheucticus melanocephalus
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus
      Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus
      Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater
      Hooded Oriole Icterus cucullatus
      Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii
      Scott's Oriole Icterus parisorum