Sharp-shinned Hawk

  • Russell Scalf
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2002
      On Thursday May 30 I had good studies of a soaring Sharp-shinned Hawk in the vicinity of the Shirley
      Meadows ski resort, in the Greenhorn Mts of Kern County (along Hwy 155, up from Mofford Heights). The
      bird eventually dive-bombed a Coopers for good size comparison. I believe it was a male.

      This bird was in normal adult plumage in every respect save one: The horizontal barring on the breast, which
      should be orange, was a pale gray; Very much like the gray of a Goshawk. At the very upper part of the breast,
      just below the throat, there was some rust colored barring.

      How unusual is this?

      Rusty Scalf
      Berkeley, CA
      rscalf@...