Fwd: [LACoBirds] NORTHERN SHRIKE at Quail Lake (per J. Sterling)

  • D@vid Bell
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2013
      > NORTHERN SHRIKE at Quail Lake Los Angeles county. (per J. Sterling)
      >
      > HY Northern Shrike present now at inflow along north shore of quail lake. It was in a patch of willows east of the inflow canal and just a few yards north of the border road.
      >
      > This spot can be reached by walking 2-3 miles around the lake from either direction. I parked at the main parking lot near the outflow on 138 and walking along the south shore until it looped around to the north.
      >
      > This spot is perhaps 1 mile across the lake from where it was seen last night so it seems to be moving around but perhaps sticking near the lake
      >
      > Also present
      > WW Scoter
      > Ferruginous Hawk
      > Swainsons Hawk
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > David Bell
      > Pasadena ca
      >
      > On Feb 25, 2013, at 3:38 PM, "dan_cooper_90042" dan_cooper_90042@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Just got off the phone with John Sterling. He just now (3 PM, Feb. 25) photographed a Northern Shrike along Hwy. 138 toward the southeast side of the lake. The bird was in a lone cottonwood near a cattle guard, then flew east into a ranchette property with lots of dense junipers and pines and out of sight. Note that at least one Loggerhead is in the same area.
      > >
      > > It's been a few months since I was there, but as I recall, there's only about one property that fits this description, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the spot at least. He said the lake is still "down below me" from where he was standing.
      > >
      > > Not sure what parking is, but traffic can be moving past at 70 mph along 138, and pull-outs are sparse (private property on both sides of the road, including the ranchette above), so be extremely careful up there, don't trespass, etc. Do not expect locals to be friendly, and expect to get ticketed if you're not legally parked. To get here, take I-5 north from L.A. (about an hour north of the San Fernando Valley), exit Quail Lake Road east, and continue past the lake. He'll post more details later I imagine.
      > >
      > > Good birding!
      > >
      > > Dan Cooper
      > > Oak Park, Ventura Co.

    • Jonathan Feenstra
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2013
        The Northern Shrike continued at Quail Lake, Los Angeles County, this afternoon, Tuesday, 26 February.

        It was visible from Hwy 138 about a half mile east of the lake about 300m west of the National Cement factory access road. It was not super close, maybe 200m, but easily scope-able to the north from the highway - which has a nice wide shoulder at this point and minimal threatening signage (but do stay on the road).

        That all said, it was not at this location when I stopped there at about 1130 this morning. Nor was it anywhere around the lake when I hiked to the inflow channel at the northeast corner, so its wide ranging also includes some areas that might not be accessible.

        I did not see any of the other unusual species reported recently from the lake, but an adult Bald Eagle sitting in a tree on the north side of Elizabeth Lake was nice.

        Jon Feenstra
        La Mirada

        On Feb 26, 2013, at 7:56 AM, D@vid Bell wrote:

        > > NORTHERN SHRIKE at Quail Lake Los Angeles county. (per J. Sterling)
        > >
        > > HY Northern Shrike present now at inflow along north shore of quail lake. It was in a patch of willows east of the inflow canal and just a few yards north of the border road.
        > >
        > > This spot can be reached by walking 2-3 miles around the lake from either direction. I parked at the main parking lot near the outflow on 138 and walking along the south shore until it looped around to the north.
        > >
        > > This spot is perhaps 1 mile across the lake from where it was seen last night so it seems to be moving around but perhaps sticking near the lake
        > >
        > > Also present
        > > WW Scoter
        > > Ferruginous Hawk
        > > Swainsons Hawk
        > >
        > > Sent from my iPhone
        > >
        > > David Bell
        > > Pasadena ca
        > >
        > > On Feb 25, 2013, at 3:38 PM, "dan_cooper_90042" dan_cooper_90042@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Just got off the phone with John Sterling. He just now (3 PM, Feb. 25) photographed a Northern Shrike along Hwy. 138 toward the southeast side of the lake. The bird was in a lone cottonwood near a cattle guard, then flew east into a ranchette property with lots of dense junipers and pines and out of sight. Note that at least one Loggerhead is in the same area.
        > > >
        > > > It's been a few months since I was there, but as I recall, there's only about one property that fits this description, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the spot at least. He said the lake is still "down below me" from where he was standing.
        > > >
        > > > Not sure what parking is, but traffic can be moving past at 70 mph along 138, and pull-outs are sparse (private property on both sides of the road, including the ranchette above), so be extremely careful up there, don't trespass, etc. Do not expect locals to be friendly, and expect to get ticketed if you're not legally parked. To get here, take I-5 north from L.A. (about an hour north of the San Fernando Valley), exit Quail Lake Road east, and continue past the lake. He'll post more details later I imagine.
        > > >
        > > > Good birding!
        > > >
        > > > Dan Cooper
        > > > Oak Park, Ventura Co.

        Jonathan S. Feenstra Ph.D.