Cedar Waxwing NESTING

  • sgloverccc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2002
      Hello all,
      This morning I had just an hour or two to bird so I decided to visit a small
      park in Concord called Markham Nature Center. I only found the place a
      couple of years ago so i haven't been there more than 10 times but it seems
      like there is something interesting there everytime. Today was more than I
      could have expected. Near the parking lot two birds flushed out of the creek
      and up into some willows. The first bird threw me for a loop since it was a
      very young bird with fluffy feathers still sticking out. The adult with it,
      to my amazement, was an adult Cedar Waxwing. Which made the field marks on
      the young bird make a lot more sense. I don't think the bird could have been
      out of the nest more than a few days. Unfortunately a group of school kids
      on a field trip picked that spot to try to catch some crawdads so I didn't
      see the birds again.
      This park has a nice little stream running through it and more importantly
      there are a lot of exotics planted throughout, including a clump of redwoods
      a few feet away.
      The Alameda Atlas had one record of nesting Cedar Waxwing and an older record
      of an adult feeding a cowbird. Contra Costa had no nest records though quite
      a few records of small flocks in June and July, which is of course very
      suspicious.
      Cedar Waxwings do occasionally nest far from their normal range, including a
      nesting pair in coastal Orange County in 1964 (!) so I guess this should
      always be looked for.
      Good luck,

      Steve Glover
      Dublin

      If the misery of our poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our
      institutions, great is our sin. Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle