April 27 deepwater pelagic out of Santa Barbara

  • David Pereksta
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2013
      Hi all

      If you want to get out to offshore waters beyond the reach of most day
      trips and have a chance to see a number of outstanding pelagic birds and
      marine mammals, the Condor Express has a 12 to 14-hour deepwater
      pelagic trip scheduled for April 27 out of Santa Barbara Harbor. Space is still available for
      this trip which has had outstanding results the last few years.

      This trip gives us the opportunity to get far offshore of southern
      California and spend a lot of time in places that one-day trips can only
      search briefly, if they can get there at all. If sea conditions permit,
      we generally get all the way out to places like the Rodriguez Seamount,
      San Juan Seamount, the Patton Escarpment, and several banks and
      trenches that have produced a spectacular variety of marine birds and
      mammals.  If sea conditions prevent us from getting to some of these
      locations, we will get as far offshore as we can to places where we have
      found great birds.  The 2011 trip recorded a Murphy's Petrel, Laysan
      Albatross, 25
      Black-footed Albatrosses, 13 Ashy Storm-Petrels, 4,000 Red-necked
      Phalaropes, 240 Red Phalaropes, 100 Sabine's Gulls, 20 Arctic Terns, and
      numbers of the expected shearwaters, jaegers, and alcids. In 2010, we
      had 63 Cook's Petrels and a Murphy's Petrel, as well as Laysan and
      Black-footed Albatrosses plus a host of the regular spring migrants
      including Leach's and Ashy Storm-Petrels.

      Deepwater trips at this time of year have the potential to produce
      several rare species. We saw numbers of Cook's Petrels at this time of
      year in 2009 and 2010. In addition, we will make a special effort to
      locate Murphy's Petrels, which are not present every spring, but can be
      found in small numbers over deep water. Other rarities that could be
      encountered include Hawaiian Petrel, Parakeet Auklet, and Horned and
      Tufted Puffins.
      There is always a chance that we could come across something outrageous
      we are not expecting, but we never know until we get out there, which
      makes these trips very exciting.

      Our vessel is the ultra-fast Condor Express. This catamaran features a
      spacious and comfortable cabin that seats 55 people, full galley (the
      food is great!), and excellent viewing from both the upper and lower
      decks. A full contingent of outstanding seabird leaders will be present
      to make sure we see all that is out there. Captain Mat and crew know how
      to run birding trips and are enthusiastic and helpful. We will also be
      adequately supplied with popcorn, fish, squid, beef suet, and cod liver
      oil, to try and bring the birds in close. Photographers will not be
      disappointed!

      We never know what we will find out there, but there is always something
      that leaves indelible memories with all who have gone aboard.

      The cost for the trip is $195. We depart Santa Barbara promptly at 7:00
      AM, so please arrive by 6:30 AM to facilitate check-in and loading.

      Call the Sealanding at 888-77WHALE or 805-882-0088 to reserve your spot. I look forward to seeing you on-board in April.

      Cheers

      David Pereksta
      Ventura