White Wagtail shots

  • Matt Sadowski
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2013
      San Diego County, Chula Vista, 10 Feb. 2013, time: 0753

      I was driving south on Bay Blvd. just south of Ada St. when all of a
      sudden there was a Say's Phoebe chasing a black and white bird flashing
      white in the wings and white outer tail feathers right in front of my
      car. I slammed on the brakes and veered off the road while the phoebe
      settled on a fence and a WHITE WAGTAIL landed on the road and proceeded
      to walk to a pothole and take a drink. I snapped off a few shots as the
      wagtail walked to the middle of the road. I picked up my cell phone and
      started calling people I knew were in the immediate area. Unfortunately
      the wagtail hopped up onto a fence and immediately took off to the south
      and quickly gained altitude flying out of sight and slightly
      south/southeast. Duration: ~45 seconds. I had to keep looking at the few
      shots I got to convince myself of what had just happened.

      Many birders checked the wet/open areas on both side of the freeway
      immediately south of the initial location along with potential areas in
      the Tijuana River Valley and beaches to the west with no luck. The
      original location was also checked throughout day. Midwinter, so you
      would think it would be in the area somewhere still.

      The bird looks like an adult "Black-backed" Wagtail showing all white
      median/greater coverts and obvious white on the secondaries/primaries of
      the closed wing with the white on the secondary edges looking especially
      solid.

      A few docu-shots:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/68911779@N00/

      --
      Matt Sadowski
      Chula Vista, CA
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2013
        Spectacular bird. I'd love to find one of these guys. A couple of the tertials look to be retained juvenile feathers, so a first-cycle, I expect.

        Jim Pike
        HB