Yolo Road 35 birders: Please stay on the roadside

  • Sylvia Wright
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2013
      Birders,

      I spoke earlier this week, and again today, with the property owner and his home builder at the Yolo County location where many of us recently have enjoyed watching and photographing owls and hawks.

      One reason the property may be so attractive to raptors is that the owner is cultivating it as grazing for organic, grass-fed beef cattle. He reports, as we can tell, that it is loaded with small mammals. He also notes that his wife is an avid bird feeder who might be interested in adding nesting enhancements to their property.

      As birders and photographers have increased in number at this site this week, a few overenthusiastic individuals have driven or walked off the public road and onto the private driveway.

      This is a problem for the property owner and the construction workers, who very reasonably fear materials theft, which we all know is a big problem in California rural areas.

      Please, folks -- stay on the roadside. The light this time of year is better from the road anyway. Let's not discourage a landowner who is making a living while also making a wildlife-friendly place.

      Thanks!
      Sylvia

      Sylvia Wright
      Davis, Calif. (Yolo County)