Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: Sparrow Identification

  • Ali Sheehey
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
      Absolutely agree this is a Savannah Sparrow. The lore is yellow when the image is blown up. All other characteristics are consistent with that species.

      Yours in nature,

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      PO Box 153
      Weldon, CA 93283

      natureali@...
      www.natureali.org
      www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
      760-417-0268

      On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "Jim" <jpike44@...> wrote:

      > Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow. Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2 or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common, M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes, rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of which this bird lacks.
      >
      > Jim Pike
      > HB
      >
      > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:
      > >
      > > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
      > > is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
      > > underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
      > >

      > > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
      > > > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
      > > >
      > > > Bob Yutzy
      > > > Shasta, CA
      > > >
      > > > Hello Everyone,
      > > >
      > > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
      > > > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
      > > > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
      > > > Sparrow.
      > > >
      > > > Any help would be much appreciated!
      > > >
      > > > Gerald Sylvester
      > > >
      > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

    • Bruce Mast
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
        The tip of the tail is partially obscured by a blurred branch but it appears
        to be notched, which would further support Savannah and rule out either of
        the Melospizas.

        Bruce Mast
        Oakland

        Absolutely agree this is a Savannah Sparrow. The lore is yellow when the
        image is blown up. All other characteristics are consistent with that
        species.

        Yours in nature,

        Ali

        Alison Sheehey
        PO Box 153
        Weldon, CA 93283

        natureali@...
        www.natureali.org
        www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
        760-417-0268

        On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "Jim" <jpike44@...> wrote:

        > Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this
        was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the
        combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy
        sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk
        and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in
        the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow.
        Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2
        or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in
        winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with
        some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't
        fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the
        cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and
        throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common,
        M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes,
        rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of
        which this bird lacks.

        > Jim Pike
        > HB
        >
        > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:
        > >
        > > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked
        > > white vent is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking
        > > against white underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
        > >

        > > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars
        > > > or possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
        > > >
        > > > Bob Yutzy
        > > > Shasta, CA
        > > >
        > > > Hello Everyone,
        > > >
        > > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and
        > > > other parts of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced
        > > > with sparrows I wanted some input on what the bird might be... My
        > > > best guess would be a Vesper Sparrow.
        > > >
        > > > Any help would be much appreciated!
        > > >
        > > > Gerald Sylvester
        > > >
        > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/pho