Re: Sparrow Identification

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
      Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow. Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2 or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common, M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes, rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of which this bird lacks.

      Jim Pike
      HB

      --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:

      > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
      > is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
      > underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
      >

      > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
      > > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
      > >
      > > Bob Yutzy
      > > Shasta, CA
      > >
      > > Hello Everyone,
      > >
      > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
      > > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
      > > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
      > > Sparrow.
      > >
      > > Any help would be much appreciated!
      > >
      > > Gerald Sylvester
      > >
      > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

      > > --
      > > Bob & Carol Yutzy
      > > Shasta, CA

      > --
      > Steve Hampton
      > Davis, CA

    • Ali Sheehey
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
        Absolutely agree this is a Savannah Sparrow. The lore is yellow when the image is blown up. All other characteristics are consistent with that species.

        Yours in nature,

        Ali

        Alison Sheehey
        PO Box 153
        Weldon, CA 93283

        natureali@...
        www.natureali.org
        www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
        760-417-0268

        On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "Jim" <jpike44@...> wrote:

        > Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow. Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2 or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common, M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes, rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of which this bird lacks.
        >
        > Jim Pike
        > HB
        >
        > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:
        > >
        > > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
        > > is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
        > > underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
        > >

        > > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
        > > > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
        > > >
        > > > Bob Yutzy
        > > > Shasta, CA
        > > >
        > > > Hello Everyone,
        > > >
        > > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
        > > > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
        > > > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
        > > > Sparrow.
        > > >
        > > > Any help would be much appreciated!
        > > >
        > > > Gerald Sylvester
        > > >
        > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

      • Bruce Mast
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
          The tip of the tail is partially obscured by a blurred branch but it appears
          to be notched, which would further support Savannah and rule out either of
          the Melospizas.

          Bruce Mast
          Oakland

          Absolutely agree this is a Savannah Sparrow. The lore is yellow when the
          image is blown up. All other characteristics are consistent with that
          species.

          Yours in nature,

          Ali

          Alison Sheehey
          PO Box 153
          Weldon, CA 93283

          natureali@...
          www.natureali.org
          www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
          760-417-0268

          On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "Jim" <jpike44@...> wrote:

          > Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this
          was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the
          combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy
          sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk
          and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in
          the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow.
          Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2
          or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in
          winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with
          some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't
          fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the
          cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and
          throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common,
          M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes,
          rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of
          which this bird lacks.

          > Jim Pike
          > HB
          >
          > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:
          > >
          > > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked
          > > white vent is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking
          > > against white underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
          > >

          > > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
          > >
          > > > **
          > > >

          > > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars
          > > > or possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
          > > >
          > > > Bob Yutzy
          > > > Shasta, CA
          > > >
          > > > Hello Everyone,
          > > >
          > > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and
          > > > other parts of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced
          > > > with sparrows I wanted some input on what the bird might be... My
          > > > best guess would be a Vesper Sparrow.
          > > >
          > > > Any help would be much appreciated!
          > > >
          > > > Gerald Sylvester
          > > >
          > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/pho