Re: [CALBIRDS] Sparrow Identification

  • Bob & Carol Yutzy
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2 10:11 PM
      Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
      possibly a Song Sparrow to me.

      Bob Yutzy
      Shasta, CA

      Hello Everyone,

      I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
      of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
      some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
      Sparrow.

      Any help would be much appreciated!

      Gerald Sylvester

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

      Bob & Carol Yutzy
      Shasta, CA

    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2 10:24 PM
        The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
        is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
        underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.

        On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
        > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
        >
        > Bob Yutzy
        > Shasta, CA
        >
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
        > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
        > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
        > Sparrow.
        >
        > Any help would be much appreciated!
        >
        > Gerald Sylvester
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

        > �
        >
        > --
        > Bob & Carol Yutzy
        > Shasta, CA

        Steve Hampton
        Davis, CA

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3 1:16 AM
          Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow. Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2 or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common, M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes, rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of which this bird lacks.

          Jim Pike
          HB

          --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:

          > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
          > is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
          > underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
          >

          > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
          > > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
          > >
          > > Bob Yutzy
          > > Shasta, CA
          > >
          > > Hello Everyone,
          > >
          > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
          > > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
          > > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
          > > Sparrow.
          > >
          > > Any help would be much appreciated!
          > >
          > > Gerald Sylvester
          > >
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

          > > --
          > > Bob & Carol Yutzy
          > > Shasta, CA

          > --
          > Steve Hampton
          > Davis, CA

        • Ali Sheehey
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3 5:53 AM
            Absolutely agree this is a Savannah Sparrow. The lore is yellow when the image is blown up. All other characteristics are consistent with that species.

            Yours in nature,

            Ali

            Alison Sheehey
            PO Box 153
            Weldon, CA 93283

            natureali@...
            www.natureali.org
            www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
            760-417-0268

            On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "Jim" <jpike44@...> wrote:

            > Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow. Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2 or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common, M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes, rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of which this bird lacks.
            >
            > Jim Pike
            > HB
            >
            > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:
            > >
            > > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
            > > is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
            > > underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
            > >

            > > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
            > > > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
            > > >
            > > > Bob Yutzy
            > > > Shasta, CA
            > > >
            > > > Hello Everyone,
            > > >
            > > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
            > > > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
            > > > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
            > > > Sparrow.
            > > >
            > > > Any help would be much appreciated!
            > > >
            > > > Gerald Sylvester
            > > >
            > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

          • Bruce Mast
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3 8:48 AM
              The tip of the tail is partially obscured by a blurred branch but it appears
              to be notched, which would further support Savannah and rule out either of
              the Melospizas.

              Bruce Mast
              Oakland

              Absolutely agree this is a Savannah Sparrow. The lore is yellow when the
              image is blown up. All other characteristics are consistent with that
              species.

              Yours in nature,

              Ali

              Alison Sheehey
              PO Box 153
              Weldon, CA 93283

              natureali@...
              www.natureali.org
              www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
              760-417-0268

              On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "Jim" <jpike44@...> wrote:

              > Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this
              was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the
              combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy
              sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk
              and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in
              the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow.
              Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2
              or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in
              winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with
              some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't
              fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the
              cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and
              throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common,
              M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes,
              rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of
              which this bird lacks.

              > Jim Pike
              > HB
              >
              > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:
              > >
              > > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked
              > > white vent is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking
              > > against white underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
              > >

              > > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
              > >
              > > > **
              > > >

              > > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars
              > > > or possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
              > > >
              > > > Bob Yutzy
              > > > Shasta, CA
              > > >
              > > > Hello Everyone,
              > > >
              > > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and
              > > > other parts of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced
              > > > with sparrows I wanted some input on what the bird might be... My
              > > > best guess would be a Vesper Sparrow.
              > > >
              > > > Any help would be much appreciated!
              > > >
              > > > Gerald Sylvester
              > > >
              > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/pho