Re: Sparrow Identification

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2013
      As Dinuk has just stated, this appears to be a classic Savannah Sparrow, one of the more abundant of the sparrow species that winter in the Imperial Valley (favoring the vast agricultural areas throughout the valley), and presumably one of the northern interior breeders, e.g, P.s. nevadensis, that winter commonly throughtout much of So Cal.

      Doug Willick
      Orange, CA

      --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, dinuk magammana wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > The bird on the photo, (assuming I am looking at the correct photo) is of a Savannah Sparrow.
      > The pale brown-yellowish wash on the body, slightly sharp looking pale pink bill, malar stripe, streaked belly, somewhat of a weak eyering, (vesper would have a strong eyering) , yellowish is stronger at the base of the bill.
      > For me those are all good for a Savannah sparrow. Although, this bird is somewhat paler and shorter streaked than the Savannah sparrows I seen in Los Angles.
      >
      > Neat bird :)
      >
      > Dinuk Magammana
      > Los angles, CA.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Bob & Carol Yutzy
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2013
        Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
        possibly a Song Sparrow to me.

        Bob Yutzy
        Shasta, CA

        Hello Everyone,

        I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
        of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
        some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
        Sparrow.

        Any help would be much appreciated!

        Gerald Sylvester

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

        Bob & Carol Yutzy
        Shasta, CA

      • Steve Hampton
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2013
          The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
          is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
          underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.

          On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
          > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
          >
          > Bob Yutzy
          > Shasta, CA
          >
          > Hello Everyone,
          >
          > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
          > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
          > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
          > Sparrow.
          >
          > Any help would be much appreciated!
          >
          > Gerald Sylvester
          >
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

          > �
          >
          > --
          > Bob & Carol Yutzy
          > Shasta, CA

          Steve Hampton
          Davis, CA

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
            Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow. Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2 or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common, M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes, rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of which this bird lacks.

            Jim Pike
            HB

            --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:

            > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
            > is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
            > underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
            >

            > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
            > > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
            > >
            > > Bob Yutzy
            > > Shasta, CA
            > >
            > > Hello Everyone,
            > >
            > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
            > > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
            > > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
            > > Sparrow.
            > >
            > > Any help would be much appreciated!
            > >
            > > Gerald Sylvester
            > >
            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

            > > --
            > > Bob & Carol Yutzy
            > > Shasta, CA

            > --
            > Steve Hampton
            > Davis, CA

          • Ali Sheehey
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
              Absolutely agree this is a Savannah Sparrow. The lore is yellow when the image is blown up. All other characteristics are consistent with that species.

              Yours in nature,

              Ali

              Alison Sheehey
              PO Box 153
              Weldon, CA 93283

              natureali@...
              www.natureali.org
              www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
              760-417-0268

              On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "Jim" <jpike44@...> wrote:

              > Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow. Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2 or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common, M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes, rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of which this bird lacks.
              >
              > Jim Pike
              > HB
              >
              > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:
              > >
              > > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
              > > is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
              > > underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
              > >

              > > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
              > >
              > > > **
              > > >

              > > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
              > > > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
              > > >
              > > > Bob Yutzy
              > > > Shasta, CA
              > > >
              > > > Hello Everyone,
              > > >
              > > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
              > > > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
              > > > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
              > > > Sparrow.
              > > >
              > > > Any help would be much appreciated!
              > > >
              > > > Gerald Sylvester
              > > >
              > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

            • Bruce Mast
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
                The tip of the tail is partially obscured by a blurred branch but it appears
                to be notched, which would further support Savannah and rule out either of
                the Melospizas.

                Bruce Mast
                Oakland

                Absolutely agree this is a Savannah Sparrow. The lore is yellow when the
                image is blown up. All other characteristics are consistent with that
                species.

                Yours in nature,

                Ali

                Alison Sheehey
                PO Box 153
                Weldon, CA 93283

                natureali@...
                www.natureali.org
                www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
                760-417-0268

                On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "Jim" <jpike44@...> wrote:

                > Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this
                was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the
                combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy
                sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk
                and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in
                the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow.
                Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2
                or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in
                winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with
                some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't
                fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the
                cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and
                throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common,
                M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes,
                rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of
                which this bird lacks.

                > Jim Pike
                > HB
                >
                > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:
                > >
                > > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked
                > > white vent is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking
                > > against white underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
                > >

                > > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars
                > > > or possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
                > > >
                > > > Bob Yutzy
                > > > Shasta, CA
                > > >
                > > > Hello Everyone,
                > > >
                > > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and
                > > > other parts of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced
                > > > with sparrows I wanted some input on what the bird might be... My
                > > > best guess would be a Vesper Sparrow.
                > > >
                > > > Any help would be much appreciated!
                > > >
                > > > Gerald Sylvester
                > > >
                > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/pho