Re: [CALBIRDS] Sparrow Identification

  • Lisa Walker (Feather)
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2013
      Looks like a Song Sparrow to me

      --- On Fri, 2/1/13, Gerald <geraldsylvester@...> wrote:

      From: Gerald <geraldsylvester@...>
      Subject: [CALBIRDS] Sparrow Identification
      To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, February 1, 2013, 10:57 PM

      Hello Everyone,

      I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper Sparrow.

      Any help would be much appreciated!

      Gerald Sylvester

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

    • BRUCE DEUEL
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2013
        Yes, one of the desert subspecies, which are paler than those from moister
        regions.
        Bruce Deuel
        Red Bluff

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2013
          Thanks for the confirmation; we have darker races up here, but will occasionally see a paler form ..... (Northern California Coast / Mendocino County)

          feather7023@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Looks like a Song Sparrow to me

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dinuk magammana
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2013
            Hello,

            The bird on the photo, (assuming I am looking at the correct photo) is of a Savannah Sparrow.
            The pale brown-yellowish wash on the body, slightly sharp looking pale pink bill, malar stripe, streaked belly, somewhat of a weak eyering, (vesper would have a strong eyering) , yellowish is stronger at the base of the bill.
            For me those are all good for a Savannah sparrow. Although, this bird is somewhat paler and shorter streaked than the Savannah sparrows I seen in Los Angles.

            Neat bird :)

            Dinuk Magammana
            Los angles, CA.

            ________________________________

            feather7023@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Looks like a Song Sparrow to me

          • Doug
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2013
              As Dinuk has just stated, this appears to be a classic Savannah Sparrow, one of the more abundant of the sparrow species that winter in the Imperial Valley (favoring the vast agricultural areas throughout the valley), and presumably one of the northern interior breeders, e.g, P.s. nevadensis, that winter commonly throughtout much of So Cal.

              Doug Willick
              Orange, CA

              --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, dinuk magammana wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > The bird on the photo, (assuming I am looking at the correct photo) is of a Savannah Sparrow.
              > The pale brown-yellowish wash on the body, slightly sharp looking pale pink bill, malar stripe, streaked belly, somewhat of a weak eyering, (vesper would have a strong eyering) , yellowish is stronger at the base of the bill.
              > For me those are all good for a Savannah sparrow. Although, this bird is somewhat paler and shorter streaked than the Savannah sparrows I seen in Los Angles.
              >
              > Neat bird :)
              >
              > Dinuk Magammana
              > Los angles, CA.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Bob & Carol Yutzy
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2013
                Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
                possibly a Song Sparrow to me.

                Bob Yutzy
                Shasta, CA

                Hello Everyone,

                I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
                of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
                some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
                Sparrow.

                Any help would be much appreciated!

                Gerald Sylvester

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

                Bob & Carol Yutzy
                Shasta, CA

              • Steve Hampton
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2013
                  The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
                  is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
                  underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.

                  On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
                  > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
                  >
                  > Bob Yutzy
                  > Shasta, CA
                  >
                  > Hello Everyone,
                  >
                  > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
                  > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
                  > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
                  > Sparrow.
                  >
                  > Any help would be much appreciated!
                  >
                  > Gerald Sylvester
                  >
                  > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

                  > �
                  >
                  > --
                  > Bob & Carol Yutzy
                  > Shasta, CA

                  Steve Hampton
                  Davis, CA

                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
                    Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow. Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2 or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common, M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes, rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of which this bird lacks.

                    Jim Pike
                    HB

                    --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:

                    > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
                    > is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
                    > underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
                    >

                    > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
                    > > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
                    > >
                    > > Bob Yutzy
                    > > Shasta, CA
                    > >
                    > > Hello Everyone,
                    > >
                    > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
                    > > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
                    > > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
                    > > Sparrow.
                    > >
                    > > Any help would be much appreciated!
                    > >
                    > > Gerald Sylvester
                    > >
                    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

                    > > --
                    > > Bob & Carol Yutzy
                    > > Shasta, CA

                    > --
                    > Steve Hampton
                    > Davis, CA

                  • Ali Sheehey
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
                      Absolutely agree this is a Savannah Sparrow. The lore is yellow when the image is blown up. All other characteristics are consistent with that species.

                      Yours in nature,

                      Ali

                      Alison Sheehey
                      PO Box 153
                      Weldon, CA 93283

                      natureali@...
                      www.natureali.org
                      www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
                      760-417-0268

                      On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "Jim" <jpike44@...> wrote:

                      > Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow. Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2 or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common, M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes, rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of which this bird lacks.
                      >
                      > Jim Pike
                      > HB
                      >
                      > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked white vent
                      > > is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking against white
                      > > underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
                      > >

                      > > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > **
                      > > >

                      > > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars or
                      > > > possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
                      > > >
                      > > > Bob Yutzy
                      > > > Shasta, CA
                      > > >
                      > > > Hello Everyone,
                      > > >
                      > > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and other parts
                      > > > of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced with sparrows I wanted
                      > > > some input on what the bird might be... My best guess would be a Vesper
                      > > > Sparrow.
                      > > >
                      > > > Any help would be much appreciated!
                      > > >
                      > > > Gerald Sylvester
                      > > >
                      > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/photostream

                    • Bruce Mast
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
                        The tip of the tail is partially obscured by a blurred branch but it appears
                        to be notched, which would further support Savannah and rule out either of
                        the Melospizas.

                        Bruce Mast
                        Oakland

                        Absolutely agree this is a Savannah Sparrow. The lore is yellow when the
                        image is blown up. All other characteristics are consistent with that
                        species.

                        Yours in nature,

                        Ali

                        Alison Sheehey
                        PO Box 153
                        Weldon, CA 93283

                        natureali@...
                        www.natureali.org
                        www.flickr.com/photos/natureali
                        760-417-0268

                        On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "Jim" <jpike44@...> wrote:

                        > Noting that virtually everyone on this site would know which species this
                        was after experiencing it for just a few seconds in the field, I think the
                        combination of a distinct eyering, grayish supercilium, and creamy
                        sub-moustachial stripe is leading folks astray. I have to agree with Dinuk
                        and Doug that this is a Savannah Sparrow. The dingy ochraceous coloration in
                        the supraloral area and the short tail wouldn't be found on a Song Sparrow.
                        Further, if it was a Song Sparrow, per Patten et al.(2003), there are only 2
                        or 3 candidate subspecies likely to be found around the Salton Sea in
                        winter. The least common is the attractive M. m. montana, which I see with
                        some regularity in the Mojave desert in fall, and which this bird doesn't
                        fit. It certainly doesn't look like the second most common subspecies, the
                        cold, dark M. m. heermanni, which breeds in the Coachella Valley and
                        throughout cismontane southern California. That only leaves the most common,
                        M. m. fallax, but that would have strikingly rusty facial and malar stripes,
                        rusty greater coverts, and rusty ventral streaks, plus a long tail, all of
                        which this bird lacks.

                        > Jim Pike
                        > HB
                        >
                        > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hampton wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The coloration of the head suggests Lincoln's, but the unmarked
                        > > white vent is all wrong for it, as well as the brown streaking
                        > > against white underparts. It must be a desert version of a Song Sparrow.
                        > >

                        > > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > **
                        > > >

                        > > > Look clearly like either a Lincoln's Sparrow with the buffy malars
                        > > > or possibly a Song Sparrow to me.
                        > > >
                        > > > Bob Yutzy
                        > > > Shasta, CA
                        > > >
                        > > > Hello Everyone,
                        > > >
                        > > > I spent some time in late December birding the Salton Sea and
                        > > > other parts of Southern California. Being fairly inexperienced
                        > > > with sparrows I wanted some input on what the bird might be... My
                        > > > best guess would be a Vesper Sparrow.
                        > > >
                        > > > Any help would be much appreciated!
                        > > >
                        > > > Gerald Sylvester
                        > > >
                        > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnaturephotography/8437617878/in/pho