Bohemian Waxwing, etc from NE CA

  • Scott Smithson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2013
      Last weekend, Jan 19-21, Alex Rinkert, John Garret, Paul Miller and I spent
      3 days birding in far NE CA. Highlights included one BOHEMIAN WAXWING with
      a mixed flock of frugivores along Shadow Mountain Drive on the north side
      of Susanville. There were 12 TRUMPETER SWANS continuing just north of the
      S. Fork Pitt River bridge on 395 just south of Alturas. Finally, we enjoyed
      stellar views of the flock of 9 COMMON REDPOLLS feeding in the stinging
      nettle stands along the auto tour route at Tule Lake NWR. We stumbled
      across 5 NORTHERN SHRIKES on the trip in various locations. We struck out
      on the rosy-finches reported near New Pine Creek and in Surprise Valley.

      Thank you all for the great reports from this area!

      Good birding,

      Scott Smithson
      Santa Cruz, CA

      --
      W. Scott Smithson, M.S.
      Board President

    • Phil Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2013
        I am so jealous, That would have been 4 lifers if I could have gone with
        you guys. My parents-in-law own a house in Fall River Mills we could have
        stayed at.
        Phil