RE: [CALBIRDS] Possible.... perhaps? Iceland Gull in Half Moon Bay.

  • Todd Easterla
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
      BRIAN and All,

      Thayer's + Iceland Gull = Kumlien's = Hybrid until proven different to me,
      but I'm not expert.

      Would like to see good tail and spread primary flight shots. Tertials are
      dark centered like a Thayer's Gull and leading edge to primaries were or are
      darkish.

      Todd Easterla
      Rancho Cordova, Ca.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
        Al et al.

        Having just looked at a bunch of Kumlien's Gulls back East, I am always
        struck by how variable they are in shape and size. Really, they are just
        like Thayer's in that some can be bruisers that look bigger and meaner than
        the worst Herrings, and others are small and dove-headed. I don't know what
        these CA birds are. I'm still trying to determine where Glaucous-winged
        Gull begins and ends. Todd, here's a flight shot of the Petaluma bird:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites/2123286841/in/photostream/

        Brian

        --
        ===========
        *Brian L. Sullivan

        eBird/AKN Project Leader *
        www.ebird.org
        www.avianknowledge.net

        *Photo Editor*
        Birds of North America Online
        http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
        North American Birds
        www.americanbirding.org
      • Steve Hampton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
          Here's another pale Thayer's with Kumlien's attributes (white patterned
          tertials), from Davis yesterday.

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202050@N04/8415277769/in/photostream

          --
          Steve Hampton