RE: [CALBIRDS] Possible.... perhaps? Iceland Gull in Half Moon Bay.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
      Brian,

      I see that bird in a similar light as the bird today, it looks good in
      terms of plumage but the structure is off. It is a bit too pudgy, bill too
      big, forehead a bit flat. The question then is what are these things?

      Alvaro

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      alvaro@...

      www.alvarosadventures.com

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
        BRIAN and All,

        Thayer's + Iceland Gull = Kumlien's = Hybrid until proven different to me,
        but I'm not expert.

        Would like to see good tail and spread primary flight shots. Tertials are
        dark centered like a Thayer's Gull and leading edge to primaries were or are
        darkish.

        Todd Easterla
        Rancho Cordova, Ca.

        ===========
        *Brian L. Sullivan

        eBird/AKN Project Leader *
        www.ebird.org
        www.avianknowledge.net

        *Photo Editor*
        Birds of North America Online
        http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
        North American Birds
        www.americanbirding.org

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Brian Sullivan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
          Al et al.

          Having just looked at a bunch of Kumlien's Gulls back East, I am always
          struck by how variable they are in shape and size. Really, they are just
          like Thayer's in that some can be bruisers that look bigger and meaner than
          the worst Herrings, and others are small and dove-headed. I don't know what
          these CA birds are. I'm still trying to determine where Glaucous-winged
          Gull begins and ends. Todd, here's a flight shot of the Petaluma bird:

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites/2123286841/in/photostream/

          Brian

          --
          ===========
          *Brian L. Sullivan

          eBird/AKN Project Leader *
          www.ebird.org
          www.avianknowledge.net

          *Photo Editor*
          Birds of North America Online
          http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
          North American Birds
          www.americanbirding.org
        • Steve Hampton
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
            Here's another pale Thayer's with Kumlien's attributes (white patterned
            tertials), from Davis yesterday.

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202050@N04/8415277769/in/photostream

            --
            Steve Hampton