Re: [CALBIRDS] Possible.... perhaps? Iceland Gull in Half Moon Bay.

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
      Al

      I photographed a similarly confusing bird up at Petaluma a few years ago.
      What do you think of this one?

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites/2123286921/in/photostream

      Thanks

      Brian

      On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Folks
      >
      > I reported this as a possible Iceland Gull from the Pilarcitos Creek
      > Mouth in Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County.
      >
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarojaramillo/8415403524/in/photostream
      >
      > I wonder now if it is a little too large, and large billed? In any case
      > keep
      > in mind that there is some uncertainty in this identification if you come
      > and try and see this bird. However, there are 2-3 Glaucous, and 2 Nelson's
      > (hybrid Glaucous with Herring) in that flock. I am now very 50-50 on this
      > individual, but Ron Thorn is out there and maybe he can re-find it and we
      > can have a second opinion.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Alvaro
      >
      > Alvaro Jaramillo
      >
      > alvaro@...
      >
      > www.alvarosadventures.com

      ===========
      *Brian L. Sullivan

      eBird/AKN Project Leader *
      www.ebird.org
      www.avianknowledge.net

      *Photo Editor*
      Birds of North America Online
      http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
      North American Birds
      www.americanbirding.org
    • Alvaro Jaramillo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
        Brian,

        I see that bird in a similar light as the bird today, it looks good in
        terms of plumage but the structure is off. It is a bit too pudgy, bill too
        big, forehead a bit flat. The question then is what are these things?

        Alvaro

        Alvaro Jaramillo

        alvaro@...

        www.alvarosadventures.com

        _____

        alvaro@... <mailto:alvaro%40alvarosadventures.com>

        www.alvarosadventures.com

        ===========
        Brian L. Sullivan

        eBird/AKN Project Leader
        www.ebird.org
        www.avianknowledge.net

        Photo Editor
        Birds of North America Online
        http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
        North American Birds
        www.americanbirding.org
      • Todd Easterla
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
          BRIAN and All,

          Thayer's + Iceland Gull = Kumlien's = Hybrid until proven different to me,
          but I'm not expert.

          Would like to see good tail and spread primary flight shots. Tertials are
          dark centered like a Thayer's Gull and leading edge to primaries were or are
          darkish.

          Todd Easterla
          Rancho Cordova, Ca.

          ===========
          *Brian L. Sullivan

          eBird/AKN Project Leader *
          www.ebird.org
          www.avianknowledge.net

          *Photo Editor*
          Birds of North America Online
          http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
          North American Birds
          www.americanbirding.org

          these addresses:

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Brian Sullivan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
            Al et al.

            Having just looked at a bunch of Kumlien's Gulls back East, I am always
            struck by how variable they are in shape and size. Really, they are just
            like Thayer's in that some can be bruisers that look bigger and meaner than
            the worst Herrings, and others are small and dove-headed. I don't know what
            these CA birds are. I'm still trying to determine where Glaucous-winged
            Gull begins and ends. Todd, here's a flight shot of the Petaluma bird:

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites/2123286841/in/photostream/

            Brian

            --
            ===========
            *Brian L. Sullivan

            eBird/AKN Project Leader *
            www.ebird.org
            www.avianknowledge.net

            *Photo Editor*
            Birds of North America Online
            http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
            North American Birds
            www.americanbirding.org
          • Steve Hampton
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
              Here's another pale Thayer's with Kumlien's attributes (white patterned
              tertials), from Davis yesterday.

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202050@N04/8415277769/in/photostream

              --
              Steve Hampton