Re: [CALBIRDS] Possible.... perhaps? Iceland Gull in Half Moon Bay.

  • Lisa Walker (Feather)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
      The Stokes Birding Blog has some excellent images you can compare it to:

      https://www.google.com/search?q=Iceland+Gull&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=pNY&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7QUDUbSFDIqciQKanoD4CQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1252&bih=567#imgrc=LHk0Oay-MMiFNM%3A%3BrGavsNShC-3dmM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcuckmereousebirdblog.files.wordpress.com%252F2012%252F01%252Ffile0007-2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcuckmereousebirdblog.wordpress.com%252F2012%252F01%252F23%252Ficeland-gulls-at-newhaven-harbour%252F%3B1908%3B1344

      As well as this site: http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/iceland-gull-larus-glaucoides/adult-shoreline

      Hope that helps. I am not as adept as I would like to be at the identification of white-wing-tipped gulls, but yours does seem to have a somewhat larger bill than the Iceland and my first impression was Glaucous ..... I of course, am probably wrong :)

      Lisa

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
        Al

        I photographed a similarly confusing bird up at Petaluma a few years ago.
        What do you think of this one?

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites/2123286921/in/photostream

        Thanks

        Brian

        On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Folks
        >
        > I reported this as a possible Iceland Gull from the Pilarcitos Creek
        > Mouth in Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County.
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarojaramillo/8415403524/in/photostream
        >
        > I wonder now if it is a little too large, and large billed? In any case
        > keep
        > in mind that there is some uncertainty in this identification if you come
        > and try and see this bird. However, there are 2-3 Glaucous, and 2 Nelson's
        > (hybrid Glaucous with Herring) in that flock. I am now very 50-50 on this
        > individual, but Ron Thorn is out there and maybe he can re-find it and we
        > can have a second opinion.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Alvaro
        >
        > Alvaro Jaramillo
        >
        > alvaro@...
        >
        > www.alvarosadventures.com

        ===========
        *Brian L. Sullivan

        eBird/AKN Project Leader *
        www.ebird.org
        www.avianknowledge.net

        *Photo Editor*
        Birds of North America Online
        http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
        North American Birds
        www.americanbirding.org
      • Alvaro Jaramillo
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
          Brian,

          I see that bird in a similar light as the bird today, it looks good in
          terms of plumage but the structure is off. It is a bit too pudgy, bill too
          big, forehead a bit flat. The question then is what are these things?

          Alvaro

          Alvaro Jaramillo

          alvaro@...

          www.alvarosadventures.com

          _____

          alvaro@... <mailto:alvaro%40alvarosadventures.com>

          www.alvarosadventures.com

          ===========
          Brian L. Sullivan

          eBird/AKN Project Leader
          www.ebird.org
          www.avianknowledge.net

          Photo Editor
          Birds of North America Online
          http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
          North American Birds
          www.americanbirding.org
        • Todd Easterla
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
            BRIAN and All,

            Thayer's + Iceland Gull = Kumlien's = Hybrid until proven different to me,
            but I'm not expert.

            Would like to see good tail and spread primary flight shots. Tertials are
            dark centered like a Thayer's Gull and leading edge to primaries were or are
            darkish.

            Todd Easterla
            Rancho Cordova, Ca.

            ===========
            *Brian L. Sullivan

            eBird/AKN Project Leader *
            www.ebird.org
            www.avianknowledge.net

            *Photo Editor*
            Birds of North America Online
            http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
            North American Birds
            www.americanbirding.org

            these addresses:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Brian Sullivan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
              Al et al.

              Having just looked at a bunch of Kumlien's Gulls back East, I am always
              struck by how variable they are in shape and size. Really, they are just
              like Thayer's in that some can be bruisers that look bigger and meaner than
              the worst Herrings, and others are small and dove-headed. I don't know what
              these CA birds are. I'm still trying to determine where Glaucous-winged
              Gull begins and ends. Todd, here's a flight shot of the Petaluma bird:

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites/2123286841/in/photostream/

              Brian

              --
              ===========
              *Brian L. Sullivan

              eBird/AKN Project Leader *
              www.ebird.org
              www.avianknowledge.net

              *Photo Editor*
              Birds of North America Online
              http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
              North American Birds
              www.americanbirding.org
            • Steve Hampton
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
                Here's another pale Thayer's with Kumlien's attributes (white patterned
                tertials), from Davis yesterday.

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202050@N04/8415277769/in/photostream

                --
                Steve Hampton