Possible.... perhaps? Iceland Gull in Half Moon Bay.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
      Folks

      I reported this as a possible Iceland Gull from the Pilarcitos Creek
      Mouth in Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarojaramillo/8415403524/in/photostream

      I wonder now if it is a little too large, and large billed? In any case keep
      in mind that there is some uncertainty in this identification if you come
      and try and see this bird. However, there are 2-3 Glaucous, and 2 Nelson's
      (hybrid Glaucous with Herring) in that flock. I am now very 50-50 on this
      individual, but Ron Thorn is out there and maybe he can re-find it and we
      can have a second opinion.

      Regards

      Alvaro

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      alvaro@...

      www.alvarosadventures.com

    • Lisa Walker (Feather)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
        The Stokes Birding Blog has some excellent images you can compare it to:

        https://www.google.com/search?q=Iceland+Gull&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=pNY&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7QUDUbSFDIqciQKanoD4CQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1252&bih=567#imgrc=LHk0Oay-MMiFNM%3A%3BrGavsNShC-3dmM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcuckmereousebirdblog.files.wordpress.com%252F2012%252F01%252Ffile0007-2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcuckmereousebirdblog.wordpress.com%252F2012%252F01%252F23%252Ficeland-gulls-at-newhaven-harbour%252F%3B1908%3B1344

        As well as this site: http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/iceland-gull-larus-glaucoides/adult-shoreline

        Hope that helps. I am not as adept as I would like to be at the identification of white-wing-tipped gulls, but yours does seem to have a somewhat larger bill than the Iceland and my first impression was Glaucous ..... I of course, am probably wrong :)

        Lisa

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
          Al

          I photographed a similarly confusing bird up at Petaluma a few years ago.
          What do you think of this one?

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites/2123286921/in/photostream

          Thanks

          Brian

          On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Folks
          >
          > I reported this as a possible Iceland Gull from the Pilarcitos Creek
          > Mouth in Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County.
          >
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvarojaramillo/8415403524/in/photostream
          >
          > I wonder now if it is a little too large, and large billed? In any case
          > keep
          > in mind that there is some uncertainty in this identification if you come
          > and try and see this bird. However, there are 2-3 Glaucous, and 2 Nelson's
          > (hybrid Glaucous with Herring) in that flock. I am now very 50-50 on this
          > individual, but Ron Thorn is out there and maybe he can re-find it and we
          > can have a second opinion.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Alvaro
          >
          > Alvaro Jaramillo
          >
          > alvaro@...
          >
          > www.alvarosadventures.com

          ===========
          *Brian L. Sullivan

          eBird/AKN Project Leader *
          www.ebird.org
          www.avianknowledge.net

          *Photo Editor*
          Birds of North America Online
          http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
          North American Birds
          www.americanbirding.org
        • Alvaro Jaramillo
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
            Brian,

            I see that bird in a similar light as the bird today, it looks good in
            terms of plumage but the structure is off. It is a bit too pudgy, bill too
            big, forehead a bit flat. The question then is what are these things?

            Alvaro

            Alvaro Jaramillo

            alvaro@...

            www.alvarosadventures.com

            _____

            alvaro@... <mailto:alvaro%40alvarosadventures.com>

            www.alvarosadventures.com

            ===========
            Brian L. Sullivan

            eBird/AKN Project Leader
            www.ebird.org
            www.avianknowledge.net

            Photo Editor
            Birds of North America Online
            http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
            North American Birds
            www.americanbirding.org
          • Todd Easterla
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
              BRIAN and All,

              Thayer's + Iceland Gull = Kumlien's = Hybrid until proven different to me,
              but I'm not expert.

              Would like to see good tail and spread primary flight shots. Tertials are
              dark centered like a Thayer's Gull and leading edge to primaries were or are
              darkish.

              Todd Easterla
              Rancho Cordova, Ca.

              ===========
              *Brian L. Sullivan

              eBird/AKN Project Leader *
              www.ebird.org
              www.avianknowledge.net

              *Photo Editor*
              Birds of North America Online
              http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
              North American Birds
              www.americanbirding.org

              these addresses:

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Brian Sullivan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
                Al et al.

                Having just looked at a bunch of Kumlien's Gulls back East, I am always
                struck by how variable they are in shape and size. Really, they are just
                like Thayer's in that some can be bruisers that look bigger and meaner than
                the worst Herrings, and others are small and dove-headed. I don't know what
                these CA birds are. I'm still trying to determine where Glaucous-winged
                Gull begins and ends. Todd, here's a flight shot of the Petaluma bird:

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites/2123286841/in/photostream/

                Brian

                --
                ===========
                *Brian L. Sullivan

                eBird/AKN Project Leader *
                www.ebird.org
                www.avianknowledge.net

                *Photo Editor*
                Birds of North America Online
                http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA
                North American Birds
                www.americanbirding.org
              • Steve Hampton
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 25, 2013
                  Here's another pale Thayer's with Kumlien's attributes (white patterned
                  tertials), from Davis yesterday.

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202050@N04/8415277769/in/photostream

                  --
                  Steve Hampton