Immature Northern Shrike at our feeders

  • Bob & Carol Yutzy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2013
      Hello all,

      For about two weeks now we have been blessed (some may say cursed) with
      an immature Northern Shrikeharassing our hummer feeders and goldfinch
      feeders. It hides in the bushes and flies out to try to grab
      something. It even sometimes sits on top of the feeder hooks under the
      roof overhang of the house waiting for a catch. We haven't seen a catch
      yet but we have seen presumably goldfinch feathers floating down to the
      deck from above the roof. A couple photos of the shrike are in the
      Shasta Birders Yahoo Group photos under Bob's Photos 2013.

      We have no grasslands or open country habitat at our 1200 foot elevation
      manzanita brushland, oak woodland and Knobcone Pine hillside.

      Also, while watching hummer feeders Carol saw our regular Merlin fly in,
      catch a hummer and then fly off with it. Hardly a snack for a Merlin,
      you would think.

      We also have a couple Evening Grosbeaks females types at our feeders
      gobbling sunflower seed.

      Birding at home can sometimes be quite rewarding and fun!

      Bob & Carol Yutzy
      Shasta, CA