adult Iceland Gull in Davis, CA

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2013
      This afternoon Michael Perrone and I found an adult ICELAND GULL at the
      Davis Wastewater Treatment Plant. Based on appearance and behavior, this
      is almost certainly the same bird that was here last year (found March 9,
      2012 by Todd Easterla). Our pics from today (distant) are at
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202050@N04/sets/72157632564944036/with/8395928453/

      A closer pic from last year is at
      http://www.tertial.us/yolobirds/photo-icgu3.htm

      If today and last year are any clue, the bird can be found in the
      afternoons on the west (sunny) side of the levee with the gulls (last year
      the one by the red gate-- this year the next one farther down), and usually
      in the pack closer to the road (good for us-- but still could be over 100
      yards). It is often half way up the levee, sleeping, and then every 10
      minutes goes down for a swim and a drink, flapping its wings on the way
      down and on the way back up.

      Other birds of local interest today included a 3rd cycle GLAUCOUS GULL and
      an adult WESTERN GULL, both in the landfill pond (far east side), viewed
      from the dirt road on the levee. We did not see the adult Lesser
      Black-backed Gull, but it is probably still around.

      good birding,

      --
      Steve Hampton
      Davis, CA