RFI for eastern birder headed west

  • k-cmiller@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2002
      Hello Western Birders,
      My name is Kent Miller and I am a lifelong Ohioan and an ABA
      member. I am preparing for a camping tour of the west from mid-June to
      mid-July with my family, therefore my birding will be restricted to a
      couple hours in the morning and while we are sight seeing in the national
      parks. I'd like to share our itinerary and some target birds and hear
      from some of you privately about how to combine the two. At the bottom I
      will list our campgrounds as places near these camps as well as the parks
      will be the primary places I will be able to get to. I do have most of
      the available local bird finding books so I'm more asking for current,
      and detailed tips near where we will be. Thanks so much.

      June 17 Pawnee Grasslands, then--Rocky Mtn NP--Vail, CO--Colorado
      Springs--Great Sand Dunes--Durango--Mesa Verde--Bryce Canyon--Grand
      Canyon north rim--Yosemite--San Francisco--Pt Reyes--Jedediah Smith and
      Elk Prairie State Parks--Boise, ID--Jackson, WY & Grand Tetons(taking the
      tram up and then hiking back down to Teton Village, any rosy finch or
      other suggested spots along this trail would be great)--Yellowstone--Mt
      Rushmore.

      Targets: Clark's Grebe, Pelagic Cormorant, Barrow's Goldeneye, Gray
      Partridge, Chukar, Ptarmigan, both Sage Grouse, Greater Prairie Chicken,
      Sharp-tailed Grouse, Mountain Quail, Mountain Plover, Black
      Oystercatcher, Heerman's Gull, Common Murre, Pigeon Guillemot, Marbled
      Murrelet, Cassin's Auklet, Tufted Puffin, Spotted Owl, Boreal Owl,
      Calliope Hummingbird, Lewis' Woodpecker, Nuttall's Woodpecker, Red-naped
      Sapsucker, Red-breasted Sapsucker, Williamson's Sapsucker, Black-backed
      Woodpecker, Pinyon Jay, Gray Vireo, Townsend's Warbler, Brewer's Sparrow,
      Black-chinned Sparrow, Sage Sparrow, McCown's Longspur, Chestnut-collared
      Longspur, Tricolored Blackbird, Lawrence's Goldfinch, all rosy finches.

      Campgrounds: Crow Valley in Pawnee, Goldfield Campground near Garden of
      the Gods, Lightner Creek near Durango, CO, A&A near Mesa Verde, Ruby's
      Inn near Bryce Canyon, Kaibab Camper Village above Grand Canyon north
      rim, Upper Pines in Yosemite, Olema Ranch Campground near Pt Reyes,
      Jedidiah Smith and Elk Prairie State Parks in Redwood NP, Americana
      Kampground in Boise, KOA in Teton Village, Grant Village in Yellowstone,
      Horsethief Campground in Rapid City near Mt Rushmore.

      Thanks for taking a few minutes to read through this. If you have any
      thoughts, I'd love to hear them at
      k-cmiller@...

      Visit our NEW web page being built at
      http://www.geocities.com/housegoat187