RE: [CALBIRDS] Arctic Loon - Malibu Pier - Lagoon Los Angeles

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2013
      Just to clarify the history of this loon... it was discovered and identified as an Arctic by Gene Cardiff and his UC Riverside Winter Birds class (I believe Kyri Freeman was the first to suggest it was an Arctic). All I did, birding from the other side of the lagoon breach and out of contact with the U C Riverside group, was to see a Pacific/Arctic type loon with white flank patches in the distance and stupidly pass it off as a probable odd Pacific because I was too lazy to go all the way around to the pier side of the lagoon to look at it more closely. So please give me no credit whatsoever, and congratulations to Gene and the rest of his group for finding the loon and to Kyri for entering it on eBird (the only way L. A. birders found out about it). Thanks also to Todd, David Bell, Larry Sansone and others for getting out there today to get photographs.

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager
      900 Exposition Blvd.