Arctic Loon - Malibu Pier - Lagoon Los Angeles

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2013
      Birders,

      An interesting Loon seen distantly by Kimball Garrett, and independently by another group over the weekend was refound this morning Between Malibu Pier and Malibu Lagoon. I have circulated photos I took this afternoon to group of experienced birders, and the consensus is the bird is indeed an Arctic Loon.

      Malibu Lagoon and Pier are east of the intersection of Malibu Canyon Road and PCH. The Pier is further east than the Lagoon. The bird ranges widely from the mouth of the lagoon to the Pier. The lagoon is breached and it you have to pick a side to look from, you cannot easily cross the breach.

      I would suggest trying near the Pier. and working my way west along the beach. I have loaded some photos to my Flickr site, link below.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/35719772@N06/

      A big thanks to Kimball for alerting us about the possible presence of this bird. If accepted it would constitute a first LA county record.

      Todd McGrath
      SKUA@...
      Calabasas CA
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2013
        Just to clarify the history of this loon... it was discovered and identified as an Arctic by Gene Cardiff and his UC Riverside Winter Birds class (I believe Kyri Freeman was the first to suggest it was an Arctic). All I did, birding from the other side of the lagoon breach and out of contact with the U C Riverside group, was to see a Pacific/Arctic type loon with white flank patches in the distance and stupidly pass it off as a probable odd Pacific because I was too lazy to go all the way around to the pier side of the lagoon to look at it more closely. So please give me no credit whatsoever, and congratulations to Gene and the rest of his group for finding the loon and to Kyri for entering it on eBird (the only way L. A. birders found out about it). Thanks also to Todd, David Bell, Larry Sansone and others for getting out there today to get photographs.

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.